Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new 500 sportsman and have a couple ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
The back brake is suppose to be a emergency brake only, the single hand brake runs both front and back brake at once,it sends 60% pressure to the two front disks and 40% to the single rear disk.

I let the EBS engine braking do most of the slowing, it makes pad change jobs much less frequent.

It has to be a matter of life and death for me to touch the brakes. LOL
NOT trying to be a smart azz, BUT occasionally use the pedal brake to keep the tiny master cylinder from bleeding down and NO stopping power. I've had to replace master cylinders from not building up pressure from leaking,dried seals if I couldn't prime back up.You could have to use it if in emergency situations! Plus can use as additional braking pressure down steep hills. OPT

Old 05-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so I have ~11 hours on it now and noticed something last night when riding when idleing it sounds fine when I give it a little gas there is a "tapping" sound down in the engine area to me almost sounds like a lifter slapping I am doing the oil change on it this week should I take it in and have it looked at?? or is this normal as I said at idle speeds its not there but with about 1300 rpms and up it ticks I would think if it was a rocker I would hear it even at idle

Old 05-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

took it in and they adjusted the idle for me (it was ~980-1030 at start up) they bumped it up to 1130 and as far as the tapping that I was hearing they said that they used to have an auxiliary pull start on them and did away with them but still installed a spring and it was ratteling in there and said that it was normal I went to another 2 dealers and started up some and they all did it so I just must have been too excited when I first got it to notice it

Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by irinman2424
took it in and they adjusted the idle for me (it was ~980-1030 at start up) they bumped it up to 1130 and as far as the tapping that I was hearing they said that they used to have an auxiliary pull start on them and did away with them but still installed a spring and it was ratteling in there and said that it was normal I went to another 2 dealers and started up some and they all did it so I just must have been too excited when I first got it to notice it
SHOULDN"T be a spring inside the blank cover,there is a place for it and you can actually install all the "missing parts" and drill out the plugged up hole at top of cover,but would probably cost more than buying a complete new recoil assy!! We've had a couple customers that did order recoil assemblies! They are noisier than other 500's because the plastic reel and rope assy blocked a lot of the noise from the engine,while the blank cover radiates a lot of the sound right through. Might be a little CRAZY,but I just thought about using liquid foam around inside of cover to insulate noise?? Crazy I know,but if didn't work loose might help??? OPT

Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

thats what they told me but then again I know that the dealer that your talking to at a given time likes to blow smoke just to get out of doing something for you. I seen a guy on a 500 today and his did the same thing so I am not worried about it. I am having so much fun with this machine!!! tonight a friend of mine was out we went riding and hit some trails hit some mud puddles and then he looked at me and said "go straight across here" it was a large puddle looked like it was about 4-6 inches deep I started going through it and it wasnt bad so I puicked up speed and poof sank water was about the top of my seat it just kept going though got out the other side pulled the drain plug and drained about 1/4-1/2 cup of water out let it sit a few then started riding again it was awesome he took a video with his cell phone but it was too large to send to me so waiting on it to come in e-mail then I will have to figure out how to post it