Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new 500 sportsman and have a couple ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 500 sportsman and have a couple ?s

well last night I went and picked up the new toy started riding it around a bit for the break in and not really used to it I was noticing a couple things

1) when headlights are on low there is the 2 headlights when high beam is on its only the pod light are all 3 supposed to be on? in the dvd they gave me with it there was one that they were showing and it had all 3 on

2) the first couple times I used the back brakes they are real touchy and noticed that if they are pushed a bit hard (like you would on a motercycle pushing the peddle down about an inch and a half) there is a clicking almost like a lifter knocking as the quad slows down the clicking slows down is this normal it dont do it if your easy on the brakes just if you hit them a bit hard

Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by irinman2424
well last night I went and picked up the new toy started riding it around a bit for the break in and not really used to it I was noticing a couple things

1) when headlights are on low there is the 2 headlights when high beam is on its only the pod light are all 3 supposed to be on? in the dvd they gave me with it there was one that they were showing and it had all 3 on

2) the first couple times I used the back brakes they are real touchy and noticed that if they are pushed a bit hard (like you would on a motercycle pushing the peddle down about an inch and a half) there is a clicking almost like a lifter knocking as the quad slows down the clicking slows down is this normal it dont do it if your easy on the brakes just if you hit them a bit hard
Low beams are the lower lights,hi is the pod light. I believe kits available if you want all three to light when on hi. Take the machine and do about five(5) fairly hi speed stops with rear brake only! This will seat pads and possibly solve the noise problem! This was a break in procedure we did most of the time! The clicking is usually the brake pad backing plate making noise,rattling,etc,plus pad noise chattering against rotor. OPT

Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure if this is Kosher be/c it's on another site, but I didn't feel like reposting it here. Here's my write-up on this. You can do it with a little jumper but it uses the switch for power and some people have burnt the $65 switch.

Instructions how to do a relay 3 headlight mod complete with video - Polaris ATV Forum

2nd thing I did after taking all those warning stickers off.

Polaris angers me, they put the 3 lights on the XP's but not the HO as an "upgrade" in their extreme performance package. Everybody deserves to see at night, I even run my lows during the day to increase visibility. There are people that make plug and play kits too, but it'll cost a little more.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The back brake is suppose to be a emergency brake only, the single hand brake runs both front and back brake at once,it sends 60% pressure to the two front disks and 40% to the single rear disk.

I let the EBS engine braking do most of the slowing, it makes pad change jobs much less frequent.

It has to be a matter of life and death for me to touch the brakes. LOL

Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Quadovator.com has the 3 light mod. Pretty cheap and pretty easy to install with some other handy gadgets and/or switches that should be accessories on our rides. Check them out. I have ordered a few times from them.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there are a bunch of post on the 3 light mod as only the single high beam pod is on while in high.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

I am not too concerned with it just curious is all....
tonight I went for a ride right at dark and notices something and just wondering if it may need adjusted seems to me that the low beams showed more area and was brighter than the high was??

Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by SportmanDrewBodie
Quadovator.com has the 3 light mod. Pretty cheap and pretty easy to install with some other handy gadgets and/or switches that should be accessories on our rides. Check them out. I have ordered a few times from them.

I use the Quadovator 3 headlight mod and manual fan switch mod. Both work great.

Jim

Old 05-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Both the high beams and low beams are adjustable , low can be adjusted slightly upward or downward , High's have a adjusting **** located on the headlight pod .

Old 05-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Pro Rider

tonight I went for a ride right at dark and seems to me that the low beams showed more area and was brighter than the high was??
Yup, that's why all three comes in handy. Lows are bright, and high turns and shows the road 25 ft ahead.

Quick Reply: new 500 sportsman and have a couple ?s