Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what is a rollerclucth

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 11:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I WAS WANTING TO KNOW WHAT A ROLLERCLUTCH IS AND HOW IT WOULD HELP OUT MY PERFORMANCE ON A BUILT T.B.? THANKS

Old 03-12-2001, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

I will try to make this as simple as I can. If you take apart the rear clutch pulley, you will see that as it opens and closes, there are nylon buttons that slide against a cam. This action causes friction, slowing the reaction of the clutch. This sliding action will also wear the buttons eventually.
A roller clutch replaces these sliding buttons with 'rollers' that ride on ball bearings. This reduces or all but eliminates the friction of the rear pulley 'shifting'. This makes the transmission react faster to load/rpm changes, and also increases efficiency. Also, the bearings should last many times longer than the plastic slider buttons in the stock clutch.

I have even heard of experiments where they replaced the buttons in the front clutch with rollers, farther eliminating friction within the clutch.

And yes, a roller clutch should help increase performance, getting the power to the ground more efficiently than the stock setup. Proper calibration is the key to how much gain you will get.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2001, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

I see that you have a white spring installed on your quad. What does the white spring or green spring do? Is it worth the money?

98 sp500 - soon to get K&N filter

Old 03-13-2001, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

The springs will let the engine rev a bit more before engageing the clutch. Kinda like revving a cars engine before letting the clutch out fast.
They are cheap to buy, and you do notice a better holeshot, especially if you have other mods.

Old 03-13-2001, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

To add to what Lurch said, it will also help on acceleration to a point. I set 2 flags up (didn't measure the distance between them) started from a dead stop at one, floored it, and noted the speed as the other flag went by. I did this 2 times each way with each spring. The speeds listed are by the speedo on my Xplorer. Might fast or slow, but hopefully consistant. I also locked in the 4wd.
With the stock spring I hit an average of 36 MPH
With the white spring I hit about of 38 1/2 MPH
I even tried a green spring and got about 39 MPH

Now 3 MPH might seem like very little, but consider this, it is almost a 10% increase in acceleration. I also lost NO top speed with the white spring. I went from my brother on his Xpress leading me by half a length to me leading him by half a length pretty much all the way to 55 MPH or so. The green helped less than I thought it would given my seat of the pants impression. I think it accelerated faster to about 30 or 35, and after that, the white or stock let the tranny shift out faster.

The spring costs less than $20 and can be installed without any special tools or know-how. Not really any harder than changing a tire. If you want any ideas how it is done, let me know.

The reason I went with white rather than green is the green wheelied WAY too easy in low range for my comfort. It didn't bother me, but I have 2 nephews, one of whom is noted for throttle pegging, and I didn't want to see him on his butt, under my Xplorer. (Yes it would wheelie that easy with the green spring - anytime you had good traction, 2/3 throttle from a standing start had the front wheels airborne before you realized it.

Old 03-13-2001, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

To add to what Lurch said, it will also help on acceleration to a point. I set 2 flags up (didn't measure the distance between them) started from a dead stop at one, floored it, and noted the speed as the other flag went by. I did this 2 times each way with each spring. The speeds listed are by the speedo on my Xplorer. Might fast or slow, but hopefully consistant. I also locked in the 4wd.
With the stock spring I hit an average of 36 MPH
With the white spring I hit about of 38 1/2 MPH
I even tried a green spring and got about 39 MPH

Now 3 MPH might seem like very little, but consider this, it is almost a 10% increase in acceleration. I also lost NO top speed with the white spring. I went from my brother on his Xpress leading me by half a length to me leading him by half a length pretty much all the way to 55 MPH or so. The green helped less than I thought it would given my seat of the pants impression. I think it accelerated faster to about 30 or 35, and after that, the white or stock let the tranny shift out faster.

The spring costs less than $20 and can be installed without any special tools or know-how. Not really any harder than changing a tire. If you want any ideas how it is done, let me know.

The reason I went with white rather than green is the green wheelied WAY too easy in low range for my comfort. It didn't bother me, but I have 2 nephews, one of whom is noted for throttle pegging, and I didn't want to see him on his butt, under my Xplorer. (Yes it would wheelie that easy with the green spring - anytime you had good traction, 2/3 throttle from a standing start had the front wheels airborne before you realized it.

Old 03-14-2001, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

What has more impact, a roller clutch or a clutch kit?

Old 03-14-2001, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Hey ag86~
It's hard for me to say which one offers more impact, but here's what I think about it: The clutch kit is the basics of modifying a clutch. It can help with acceleration and better use of available power. The roller clutch is close to the limits of modifying a clutch(although I have heard of some companies experimenting with rollers in the primary clutch to further reduce friction). It reduces friction and drastically reduces or eliminates clutch lag-time. So now, which is the bigger impact? The clutch kit is an improvement over stock, and is quite easy to install. The roller clutch is a huge improvement over stock, but as Jack already stated, it takes time to get properly tuned. If you want the challenge of tuning, by all means get the roller clutch. If you want install and go, get the clutch kit.

Old 03-14-2001, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Couldn't have said it any better.

However, IF you get engine mods, a clutch kit and/or a roller clutch all from the same source, and they know what they are doing, you SHOULD basically have a bolt-on and drive situation. The key is finding someone with enough know-how to get all the set-ups right the first time.