Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 stroke oil question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes once, ran out at a race in Texarkana Texas, went to the local parts house and bought a gallon of valvoline 2 stroke multi purpose and lap two it ate a piston, when we disassembled the engine it was apparent that it was a pure lack of lubrication. Two thousand dollar mistake. Never again!!!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

In lap two hu? Hmmmm seems strange.

You also say you change crank case oil every race? You ever had an oil analysis done on the crank case oil? Or do you just throw it out no matter what?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Our laps average 5 to 8 miles long. ( Cross country ) and yes we do have our oil analyzed. But still for what it cost throw it out. But be warned synthetic oil does not make the grass turn green like petroleum based oil does. ???? Hum

Old 05-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

And what did the analysis say about the shape of the oil?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I KNOW I shouldn't get into this,BUT can't help it! Over a 23 year period we stocked just about every major brand of two and four stroke oils. Along with being a Polaris dealer ,we were an ORANGE level KTM dealer and sponsored several TCCRA expert,open class and also enduro riders(these two areas were KTM'S "bread and butter"!) Along with Motul, Bel Ray, Maxima, and Golden Spectro(even stocked the old "castor bean" oil for some) I loved the smell of it smoking!! We also ordered and kept in stock for "special" riders Amsoil, Lucas,and Royal Purple in two and four stroke variations along with with the full gamut of Polaris lubricants! We also stocked a healthy supply of VP 108 octane in five gallon cans for the "serious" racers that usually mixed it 50/50 with 93 pump grade gas. Along with the cross country and enduro guys,we were paid several visits by European champions,and also celebrities such as Malcolm Smith( who came through our doors at least 5 times in my 23 years and one time brought an especially gruff old fart named John Penton!) You old timers may recognize the name as he imported basically the first KTM's into the country badged as PENTONS! We had a wall in the break room just for all the signatures and there were quite a few,from the 60's riders up to the present day. One of my prized items is a signed copy of On Any Sunday from Malcolm Smith (on vhs no less!) Back to the gruff old fart Penton,as he looked over the shop and checking out the oils,he grinned when he saw the Golden Spectro shelf and said and I quote: BEST DAMNED OIL ever made(I left the LORD's name out of his statement!) You COULD NOT convince him other wise,even with the newer oils! Back to the point of this long azz post is that even IF we could get all the riders,celebrities,and who ever all in the same place,it would be just like being on this forum! There would NOT be a clear cut winner on ANY particular brand of MAJOR two or four stroke oils!! After all these years I've come to realize that there are THREE things you just can't win an argument on. RELIGION, POLITICS, and a man's opinion of the best OIL, two stroke or four stroke!! A guys gonna stay with what in his opinion he's had the "best luck with" PERIOD!! So I've said enough now and will leave you guys to it! P.S. The BEST two stroke oil is ----------------------------!! OPT

Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I used Castro 2 stroke in my sleds and it was not even Synthetic, I sold one machine with 10,000 miles using that stuff.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
And what did the analysis say about the shape of the oil?
Wouldn't that depend on what it was poured in to?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I almost choked on my coffee!!! Good one Scooter!!! OPT

Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Originally Posted by Scootergptx

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Took me a while and then, ROTFLMAO

Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Synthetics the way to go!

Quick Reply: 2 stroke oil question?