Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 stroke oil question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

synthetic ok as long as machine doesnt sit for long period of time. The best crankshaft shops will tell u to run petroleum. synthetic oils let crankshafts rust after sitting (not run at all), as little as couple weeks

Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Except for price I never heard of a advantage conventional oil had over synthetic. I run Synthetic in my 4 strokes but its a bit pricey at $12 a liter to burn off in a 2 stroke.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jrau
synthetic ok as long as machine doesnt sit for long period of time. The best crankshaft shops will tell u to run petroleum. synthetic oils let crankshafts rust after sitting (not run at all), as little as couple weeks

Good to know! Couple weeks? Hmmm

Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default polaris rmk 800 crankshaft. synthetic vs conventional oil

just spent 1900 on 2001 rmk 800. while not an atv, same priciple. these motors are notorious for spittin crank around 4000 miles. case not heavy enough. replaced with new polaris crank, started once a month. 2nd trip to wyoming...........back to shop. this time sent case in for reinforcement and performance welded crank. they will only warranty on condition of use of conventional 2 stroke oil. was told,"while synthetic has definate pluses in a running engine, it does not retain a film much needed on journal surfaces on engines not operated for extended periods of time". told me to try n start at least twice a month. I run full synthetic in my yamaha raptor. but use conventional in 2 strokes. what blows 2 strokes??? tunning, jetting is everything older polaris sport 400. shaved head, bored, piped and clutched. most important add on?? egt gauge and dial a jet. I push this machine to the edge but with the monitoring, never over

Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jrau
just spent 1900 on 2001 rmk 800. while not an atv, same priciple. these motors are notorious for spittin crank around 4000 miles. case not heavy enough. replaced with new polaris crank, started once a month. 2nd trip to wyoming...........back to shop. this time sent case in for reinforcement and performance welded crank. they will only warranty on condition of use of conventional 2 stroke oil. was told,"while synthetic has definate pluses in a running engine, it does not retain a film much needed on journal surfaces on engines not operated for extended periods of time". told me to try n start at least twice a month. I run full synthetic in my yamaha raptor. but use conventional in 2 strokes. what blows 2 strokes??? tuning, jetting is everything older polaris sport 400. shaved head, bored, piped and clutched. most important add on?? egt gauge and dial a jet. I push this machine to the edge but with the monitoring, never over
So im feelin pretty relaxed right now, have a mice chill buzz and was reading this post. Buzzen pretty good now like previously pointed out... But were u saying man made is bad?
Ive been riding/owned a yamaha blaster(1 bike of many) for over 15 years now using strictly only yamalube synthetic 2 stroke oil and have only had the top end rebuilt one time!

Are you referring to man made synthetics as bad? Prolly could be wrong! But I still mucho beg to differ! When it comes down to 2 stoke oils being synthetic or non>

Opinions now!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

just tore down motor on a blaster ran with synthitic,..an it scuffed up real bad,..never seen dyno oil scuff a piston an cylinder so bad in all my years of mechanicing

Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 AM
Trailblazer

Most important to use fresh gasoline. Higher the octane the better the shelf life. I always use the cheapest oil I can get my hands on. My 1986 Honda 250R still has original bottom end and always run 20:1 in it. If you were in a pinch you could use 20w non-detergent engine oil for the mix! In the last 30 years I replaced a mountain of pistons and bored hundreds of cylinders for other people, but hearing their stories is amusing and puts money in my pocket.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If you goggle "Synthetic oil vs Conventional" you will get a few hundred hits and all will say Synthetic oil is Superior to conventional oil in every way. Here is one of many. Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional Motor Oil: What are the Advantages of Using Synthetic Engine Oils? | Suite101.com

Pros and Cons of Using Synthetic Motor Oil
Pros

•Synthetic motor will increase the life of an engine
•Longer oil change intervals, because of viscosity breakdown
•Better for extreme driving conditions, especially extremely cold or hot weather.
Cons

Synthetic motor can cost up two three times more than conventional motor oil
Is Synthetic Oil Better Than Conventional Motor Oil?
There’s no doubt that synthetic oil is better than conventional motor oil. Since synthetic oil is made with smaller molecules and less impurities it’s just a plain better lubricant. It’s especially better for today’s modern engines that have tighter tolerances and smaller oil passages that need a super lubricant
Now this is 4 stroke oil there talking about, not 2 stroke.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
If you goggle "Synthetic oil vs Conventional" you will get a few hundred hits and all will say Synthetic oil is Superior to conventional oil in every way. Here is one of many. Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional Motor Oil: What are the Advantages of Using Synthetic Engine Oils? | Suite101.com

Now this is 4 stroke oil there talking about, not 2 stroke.
yup an big big differences in how each lub a motor!!