Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

semi stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face semi stupid question

I was riding this weekend and had an incident. this is what happened then I will ask the question.

I was riding with my brother in law and a friend we was doing some trails and hills and just having a good time. I was climbing a hill and like an idiot I let off the gas a bit too soon(seen a tree root sticking up instead of keep going and pop it over I slowed down and tried to crawl over it). when I gave it gas again the right side popped over the root while the left side stayed hung on the root. This turned me sideways on the hill and it tipped on its side. (didnt roll it just laid it on its side) my brother in law and friend helped me upright the machine (2011 Polaris sportsman 500 HO) friend winched me to the top. I let it sit about 15 minutes before trying to start it. it turned over but didnt fire. I waited another 15-20 minutes and it fired right up.

Now comes the question hoping it dont happen again but in case it does what should I do with it once uprighted? how long should I let it sit before trying to crank it again? there was no cosmetic damage and as far as I can tell the engine is running fine but I went as soon as it started straight home with it.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

You probably just drained the fuel out of the carb while it was on its side or dumped a load in the cylinder! Takes a little bit for the fuel pump to pick up and fill the carb back. Best answer I can think of off hand!! OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

thanks OPT what they was saying is I should wait a minimum of an hour before trying to start it so the oil and fluids can settle back down into place once uprighted is this true or not something to really be concerned with?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Not necessary as most of the oil is in the tank,NOT in the motor! OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

thanks again OPT good to know some of the things such as that

Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Doubt you have any problems from that. Done worse with mine and they were fine. Would be nice if they made the spark plug a little more "trail" accessible. You could always pop it out, see if it was oil soaked, (likely not) and turn the motor over (using the key) and pump out any gas in the cylinder.

But, all that plastic...

Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The only other thing I would check is to see if there is some oil in the air box. I rolled mine on it's side on a downhill off camber turn and it came to rest on its side against a tree. Some oil got in the airbox but it was reletively easy to clean.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:52 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree with moose & scoot-
I've rolled a few sport quads, after flipping them back over and taking a 5 minute breather for my sake- started the atv right up. Maybe when it was on its side, before it stalled, you sucked in a little air that needed to pass through

Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

when I got home and cleaned it up there was maybe 1/2 teaspoon in the air box wiped it out there was a little bit on the air filter will that hurt anything or should I change it (it wasnt soaked and it wasnt all over it just about 1/4 or so)
thanks again for the replies I just wanted to verify that I didnt do anything that could harm the mechanics of it

Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The cranks case air vent line on most all ATVs goes to the airbox, so they all get oil in the air box if flipped on there side. Even steep hill riding can get oil in the air box.

Quick Reply: semi stupid question