Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

When Riding Alone, How Far Do You Go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious as to how far you people travel in the back country, when riding by yourself. So far I've only been 30-40 odd miles from my truck.

Old 03-13-2001, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Ride like you used to go swimming... The buddy system. I don't care how dependable your quad is
it could stop running for any reason, or have a wheel problem, or you could fall of due to many things in the woods. 5 miles in the woods is a long walk
when the sun is shining, its longer in the rain,snow and darkness..Besides I don't like to leave my quad sitting in the woods....Ever try and push one in the woods...I know we don't all have buddies to ride with, but ride safe..Don't be a statistic.

Old 03-13-2001, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

I have gone over 100 miles by myself in a day, it was a big loop, I won't own an atv if i am worried about breaking down. I carry a cell phone and food care package with me at all times.

Old 03-13-2001, 01:36 PM
Range Rover

ZoomZoom, I always map out my trail for someone not riding and also leave a map at home including phone numbers to the DNR or to local law. Carry enough tire patches to make a tire and other basic's. I like riding alone but know it's dangerous, so when you pick a trail, stick to the trail. I was just 1/2 mile off a trail once and got stuck, that was enough wasted time for me. What would have been fun for two people turned out to be a hassle. My wife hates it but I do love that freedom.

Ride right

Old 03-13-2001, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Who said anything about worrying about breaking down, I was just trying to exercise some safety
to the younger and newer participants of this forum. All to many times I have helped some one out of a bad situation, because they were alone.
Sure the quad will always run, but it needs a fully functioning human body that is not broke to ride it. Sure hope that phone works when you are a few miles deep in the woods bottoms...

Old 03-13-2001, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

My dog always comes with me and if anything ever happened I know I will die with a dog licking my face off.

Old 03-13-2001, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

I don't ride alone very often, but when I do, I ride near my house. Other than range of my quad on a tank of gas, my distance would be dictated by whether I could get a cellular signal and how far from civilization I would be. My first choice will always to ride with others... it's a lot more fun and safer.

Old 03-13-2001, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I try not to go out by myself but when I have no choice, well I guess I take chances. I usualy bring my trail kit, food, drinks & cell phone,etc... Sometimes I get out of range for my cell. I also take it easier out there than I would with company.
I would hate it if I ever would have to walk out, I've got bush savvy and it wouldn't be the first time I spent stranded overnight.
I also tell my buddy or someone where I'm heading for that, "Just in Case" situation. I would rather go riding with someone as it's more fun also. By the way, I'm not a kid, I'm in my mid 40's & in pretty good shape still.

Old 03-14-2001, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

I'm happy for you!

Old 03-14-2001, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Wolverine, I started this thread to get everyones opinion. I know there are risk involve going out alone but then there are risks everywhere, everyday and life would be a bore without them.
Your last post sounded a little sarcastic, I may be wrong, in any case, I'm just curious still the same as to how far people go. No need for useless posting such as your last one. Hope I'm wrong about you.

Quick Reply: When Riding Alone, How Far Do You Go?