Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD Doesn't Work On 2004 Polaris Sportsman 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Doesn't Work On 2004 Polaris Sportsman 400

Happy 4th of July to all!
I have been reading the post about how to bypass the speedo and allow the AWD to work. I grounded the Brown/White wire as directed, however it still did not work. Any ideas?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. i take it your speedo isn't working? is the awd light coming on at all? do you have the hub style awd or the newer non hub at the wheels? does the override button work? justa few questions to help the guys give good response too.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your quick response. The speedo is NOT working, the AWD light does NOT come on and when you press the override switch, it flashes the word SLOW on the speedo window. I am not sure about the hub question. Can you be a little more specific, please?

Old 07-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's only supposed to flash "slow" in reverse. It must not know what gear it's in.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I think it's only supposed to flash "slow" in reverse. It must not know what gear it's in.
as he just mentioned, unless your bike is in reverse, it should not be reading slow, this shold only flash that while it's in reverse w/ the override pushed. by sounds, your bike doesn't have the hubs and has the hillard style fornt end awd.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

As well as the Speedo, the AWD light on the switch must work also. I never tried the speedo by pass trick but I hear it works. I would try it it before buying a $300 speedo also.

Here is the best info about it by "Ditchdigger" I could find on it. http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...dont-work.html

Old 07-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Again, thanks for the reply. I was going in reverse when I had the override switch depressed. That is when it kept flashing slow. All the other readings work etc...Tach, hours, light and gear designation. Any more suggestions before I purchase the speedo?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

if everything is working on the speedo, then maybe the speed sensor on the wheel is bad and thats why your speedo isn't working. chances are if your screen is flashing slow only when your in reverse, then i would say the tranny switch is working correctly. you might even want to take apart the awd switch it self to check for corsion of some sort. worth a try. if you ground out the correct wire in the pod off the speedo, then the awd should be bypassed making it work even w/ a bad speedometer.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took the plug loose from the AWD switch and cleaned, did not help. I also tried grounding the Brown/White wire from the AWD switch, did not work either. I guess that Brown/White wire is in the harness from the AWD switch? If not, is there one in the large plug on the back of the speedo? You mentioned the sensor could be bad. Where is it located?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The "Hall Effect" sensor is located by the front right brake rotor, it sends the distant/speed info by wire to the speedo.

A bad wheel sensor does not effect the awd though. I have been running around with a dead wheel sensor for 3 years now. Only my hour meter works on my speedo but my AWD is fine.

Quick Reply: AWD Doesn't Work On 2004 Polaris Sportsman 400