Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Magneto question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the 250cc Polaris machines, the stator in the magneto puts out 150 watts.

I am interested in removing my stock 55 watt headlight, and replacing it with a pair of 55 watt offroad lights for better visibility at night. This would mean I will use 110 watts just for the lights.

Will this overload the stator? Will I still have enough power for a strong spark at the spark plug?

Old 03-13-2001, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1996 Trail Blazer that originally had the 55 watt headlight. When that burned out I replaced it with a 100 watt to get more light output. So far, the only thing I have noticed is that the battery seems to wear down fast if you aren't running the machine very hard when the light is on. I haven't noticed any problem with a lack of spark at the plug. Good luck..

Old 03-13-2001, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Alternator, Lurch; not magneto.

Diogenes

Old 03-13-2001, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I know that, but the parts book I downloaded from the Polaris site for my machine calls it a magneto.

Old 03-14-2001, 06:53 AM
Pro Rider

I beg your pardon, Lurch77--if the manual calls the device a "magneto," this nomenclature suggests a permanent-magnet device, or "generator," as opposed to an alternator.

You may have hit upon the key to why Polarises (riders say) sometimes blow out all light bulbs when operated with a dead battery: without proper voltage regulation, a "magneto" (called "generator" sometimes) produces higher voltage with greater rotation.

Technically, "magneto" may be applied to any device that produces electricity by passing electrical connectors across a permanent magnet's field (the box with the plunger used to detonate dynamite charges is called a "magneto").

I hope someone knowledgeable about Polaris electrical systems will respond: do Polarises use alternators or generators ("magnetos") producing electrical current for vehicle operation and battery charging?

Diogenes

Old 03-14-2001, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

Ricky Stator can rewind your stator to the necessary voltage if needed. Last time I talked to him he was working on a "desert racing" style light kit that would house two 55W 6" round PIAA's. He doesnt get many Polaris' through his doors so it was taking a while.

Old 03-14-2001, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

The ignition coil of the magneto is separate from the charging coils. Two separate cicuits.

Old 03-15-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting, CaptNemo! If I understand you correctly, a Polaris has one device for producing low-voltage current to charge the battery, and another (magneto) producing high-voltage current providing ignition.

Now, is the charging device an alternator (producing alternating current, then rectified) or a generator (producing direct current by rotating an armature in a permanent magnet's field)?

The magneto, from its name, involves a permanent magnet and an armature; the term usually applies to a high-voltage device (as used in producing a spark for ignition).

Diogenes

Old 03-15-2001, 10:39 PM
Range Rover

Dio.
Every bike or snowmobile I have taken apart has a "lighting coil" or charging coil and a seperate coil that produces current for the spark, this allows one to get out of the woods even if you loose your charging system. The system is set up with a rotating basket with maginets mounted to it and two or more seperetly wound coils mounted
stionary inside of it. (magenets rotate around the coils)

Old 03-16-2001, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

There are two coils, here's a link for a 2001 400 Scrambler 2X4 magneto from Polaris' downloadable parts manual.
http://www.polarisindustries.com/par...df/9916836.pdf
The stator or lighting coil #7 on the diagram makes two ( on the scambler 400, six on most of the others) AC pulses that are sent to the rectifier and changed into DC.

Quick Reply: Magneto question