Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris sportsman 700twin 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple more?? 06 . vs 08 which is less probable of repairs. When did polaris intro efi. Carb. Vs. Efi. Back to my machine, Im assuming since my stator was melting down that it was the main problem.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

2004 was the first year on efi on the 700. Every machine year may have some quirks,but for the most part all carb models even the 700 didn't have that many problems other than the ecm recall that most all 2005 and 2006 Polaris carb models had. Just what year model are you interested in?? Huge ATV Recall by Polaris - Sportsman and Scrambler My own I'd take a carb 500 over all the others because a diy type person can still work on them without having to have a computer in his back pocket..Plus now that you have the good ignition system,there shouldn't be any reason not to like your 700!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was till a buddy decided to sell his 06 700 with 130 hours for a sweet price . Mine has 700 hrs. If I were to buy it I would prolly do a little back tracking on mine to come out on the deal. If maintained well, how long will these motors last. I think i could upgrade and not have much invested in this deal .

Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Single spark

I was having the same problem with my '03 sportsman 700 and just purchased the ignition kit as described above. Everything was pretty straight forward, but now that I have everything hooked up, battery charged (on trickle) and all the connections appear to be tight and grounded, I am only getting a single spark from both plugs when I attempt to start the engine.

I did some research for a few hours last night on this situation and it appears to have happened before but the boards never have a resolution

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Retrace your steps on the ignition kit as the main issue that some have had was a ground problem either at the stator or at the main grounding point on the frame.The kit instructions aren't the greatest either imo.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ok

The instructions had more photos of running the plug wires than anything else. Haha. I have been sitting here checking all the wires with my multimeter , everything appears to be good. Going to take back off the flywheel and check that ground in there now. I grounded it in the same spot behind the wire bracket like the other guy did. (No notes in the instructions) just with the length of the ground out of the harness, it appeared correct.

Thanks for your quick reply !!

Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Nope

Nope, no luck, I only wish that it was something as easy as the ground .....like forgetting to connect it or something. Haha

Everyone looked good and checked out correctly.

It's just weird that it is consistently a single weak spark when I first turn over the ignition.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Finally got around to installing my ignition kit after almost a year being down.

Went to fire it up and it did the same thing as before. One weak spark and then nothing.

Ended up being the RED wire connection that you have to pulled out of the main harness. I carefully took it apart, cleaned it so that it was metallic, not black and all is good.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried cleaning and making sure everything was properly connected and grounded. Ended up taking it to one of my buddies and the throttle adjustment screw in the carb was loose. How this affected the spark, I don't know, but now everything is running good

Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same Color Wires

I have just finished installing the ignition upgrade on my 03 700 and I have run into a problem. The kit comes with a replacement regulator and has two wires that hook into the harness that are exactly the same. I can't figure out which one goes were. Both wires are yellow with red stripes (picture of wires below). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Polaris sportsman 700twin 2003