Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just traded for a 1996 Polaris Scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just traded for a 1996 Polaris Scrambler

Hello, new user to this site and I am hoping to find some Polaris gurus. The battery is dead but the ATV starts on the first pull ever time. I also need to replace output shaft bearing assembling that hooks up to the 4x4. Also, the steering wheel has some play(lifts up freely about 1/4 to 1/2 inch). The guy told me the bearing assembly is about a 10 minute fix. Does this sound like a huge task to fix these things? Also, anything I should look for on this wheeler before running it too much?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum! You could start the old ones with a dead battery as they had just a magnetically triggered electrical system,but you could blow out the lights! Best to get a battery. They are supposed to have the updated steering post support doing away with the old plastic ones.(if not I think there are aftermarket ones) Check the counter balancer oil as it only takes 75ccs of oil and if milky colored,could need water pump seals and bearing. Also I would remove the oil pump plate at the front of the machine and make sure the oil pump isn't frozen or corroded. Replacing the output shaft bearing isn't hard as usually the old ones were missing most of the bearing anyway! Also check the air box neck at the carb as they were prone to crack and suck in dirt. Plus keep the chains adjusted and grease the rear carrier,center and front eccentric carrier.Plus the hubs use Demand Drive Plus hub fluid for the awd system. A manual would help you keep on top of the maintenance. OPT

Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Welcome to the forum! You could start the old ones with a dead battery as they had just a magnetically triggered electrical system,but you could blow out the lights! Best to get a battery. They are supposed to have the updated steering post support doing away with the old plastic ones.(if not I think there are aftermarket ones) Check the counter balancer oil as it only takes 75ccs of oil and if milky colored,could need water pump seals and bearing. Also I would remove the oil pump plate at the front of the machine and make sure the oil pump isn't frozen or corroded. Replacing the output shaft bearing isn't hard as usually the old ones were missing most of the bearing anyway! Also check the air box neck at the carb as they were prone to crack and suck in dirt. Plus keep the chains adjusted and grease the rear carrier,center and front eccentric carrier.Plus the hubs use Demand Drive Plus hub fluid for the awd system. A manual would help you keep on top of the maintenance. OPT
Thanks for the reply. The guy I got this from says he still premixed his oil because he did not trust the auto mix system. Is this a good idea? I also think he has it a little rich right now. What type of coolant do you need for this?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

A lot of people didn't trust auto lube pumps all the way back to the 60's when they came out! Just check the pump as mentioned and you can even disconnect the oil line at the carb boot and if it has a small dribble of oil,the pump is usually ok. Just the pump location was the main problem,right at the front where water and dirt could get in and freeze it up! Some people just blocked off this carb line with a sealing bolt and washer at the carb boot and premixed 40 or 50-1 ratio. Any major auto coolant is ok as most are for aluminum radiators now days,same as on the Polaris. OPT

Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your help. I also checked the tranny fluid and it was dark and dirty. What kind of tranny fluid would you recommend?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Polaris AGL for the tranny. OPT