Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler wheel question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler wheel question...

I've been reading for a while but this is my 1st post so thanks for taking the time to look! I just bought my 1st atv which is a 2000 Scrambler 500 4x4. It's completely stock and in good shape so I couldn't pass it up. I want to start it's aftermarket life out by adding some aluminum wheels but after reading post after post it seems like there is an issue with finding a correct offset front wheel for the Scrambler. Knowing the stock front wheel of a scrambler is a 10x6", 4x2" how much of a difference in appearance is there going to be by going to a ITP t9 pro wheel which measures 10x5, 3x2"? Obviously it's going to push the wheel out an inch with the less offset but does the 1" narrower wheel suck that up looks wise? One would also assume if using the stock tire 23x7x10" on the ITP wheel it's going to "balloon" a bit. Will that change gear ratio enough to harm the 4x4? I really like the look of the ITP wheel but I don't want to buy something and have it look goofy with an odd offset. I appreciate all/any feedback, not trying to kick a dead horse with this wheel question!

Old 07-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be alright, gear ratio change is marginal, you can jump down two sprocket sizes on the rear tranny output without harming anything (it's a fair bit to explain, but the front is geared wayyyyyy slower than the rear and the front hubs only provide power if the rear is spinning so ie low traction) If anything it'll look a little funny but you are good to go.