Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Starts with black CDI wire disconnected.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 battery wont charge

Hi I have a 2000 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 that well not start un less u unhook the black wire coming off the Voltage Regulator Rectifier I have replaced the Voltage Regulator Rectifier the key switch and the on and off kill switch on the Handel bars And steel did not help ! My starter wont work ether u have to pull start it . And all so the battery wont charge could it be the starter or the cdi box ??? Oh and I all so but a new Solenoid on it to try to get the starter working but didn't help

Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No need to post twice on the same problem!

Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech, what if it will only run with the black wire connected?

Old 08-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Runs only with the black (kill circuit) wire from the cdi pulled can be caused from several different things. A direct short in the kill circuit wiring grounding out the spark other than the cdi wire, a bad ignition switch wiring,problems with the emergency kill switch wiring on the left handle bar,along with the cdi internal kill circuit itself. I've found problems in all these different areas,but I'd start first by just tracing for any any obvious wiring shorts,then ohm out the ignition switch and emergency kill switch wiring. It's not impossible for a cdi to be bad as I've found several over the years after tracing everything else down and ended up replacing the cdi and solved the problem.A good service manual with the wiring schematic and ignition trouble shooting guide for your particular model will help also as a guide.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've looked and am a bit confused. It runs with the Black Wire, crossed with the Red and Red/White. That makes no sense with the schematic and no safety features work.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Looked at your original post wrong as most times they would run with the black cdi wire disconnected. Red is powered at all times,red/white powers up with the ignition on only. Exactly what are you doing?? If touching the black cdi kill wire with the hot wires,then yes doesn't make sense unless the cdi could be faulty?

Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought it from an old man who was selling out and going on the road with his RV. His turd neighbors we assume tried to steal it at some point and the ignition is not on it. In an effort to get it running I figured out that it works with the above wires crossed. However, I also noticed that nothing else really does. I ordered a used CDI off ebay today. I'll have to work through running wires down. I was really confused by previous posts saying it should run with that wire pulled and die when its grounded.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by davewhs99
I bought it from an old man who was selling out and going on the road with his RV. His turd neighbors we assume tried to steal it at some point and the ignition is not on it. In an effort to get it running I figured out that it works with the above wires crossed. However, I also noticed that nothing else really does. I ordered a used CDI off ebay today. I'll have to work through running wires down. I was really confused by previous posts saying it should run with that wire pulled and die when its grounded.
A lot of times when there is a short or damaged cdi module,ignition switch or emergency kill switch,pulling the black cdi wire would be the only way it would run for people and hooking it back up would kill it.In your case with the switch missing and wiring messed up who knows what's happening.Sometimes just buying a 200 buck harness along with the correct parts will pay for itself just in saving all the time and frustration of dealing with a butchered machine. If you got it cheap enough,plan to keep it,I'd do it right.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought this off of Ebay today pretty cheap. Is this where you'd start?

Old 08-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, if I understand this correct when I install the new ignition. in the Off Position Black, and Brown will be connected. In the On position Red and Red/White will be connected. Correct?

Quick Reply: Starts with black CDI wire disconnected.