Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

trailblazer woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default trailblazer woes

ok. before posting this, i've read every TB bogging post on the forum and i'm still stumped.
i've cleaned the carb/jets/float assembly (12x). every nook and cranny is clean. i've tried the override wiring just in case the wiring had issues and there are no issues with it. the throttle goes up to maybe 1/4 but stutters. i can choke it and it does the same. choke assembly is working adequately. my last TB was doing something similiar and the coil was changed out and that fixed it. can the coil get weak at higher RPMs and cut out spark? maybe i can't see the forest because of the trees! oh yeah, she idles just fine. i've tinkered with the rich/lean screw and think i got it set. but alas, i'm stumped at this point. the quad has sat outside for 2 yrs, that's why such a thorough cleaning on the carb/jets was mandatory. fuel filter is fine, tank is vented. no vacuum leaks. i think i've covered all of the bases. i'm just stumped and i really appreciate everyone's input.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What is the fuel/air screw setting? are you running the stock filter and box or aftermarket? have you checked the needle position in the carb slide,or the needle itself for wear? Did you replace the needle and seat and check the float level Or just cleaned it? Plus have you checked the main jet against what is needed at your altitude? have you checked for any cracks in the intake adapter that could be sucking air? Also have you checked the valve setting .006 intake and exhaust? Plus on an unrelated thing,what about the clutches and belt? Worn rear clutch buttons can cause problems on bogging but in a different way. OPT

Old 08-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
What is the fuel/air screw setting? are you running the stock filter and box or aftermarket? have you checked the needle position in the carb slide,or the needle itself for wear? Did you replace the needle and seat and check the float level Or just cleaned it? Plus have you checked the main jet against what is needed at your altitude? have you checked for any cracks in the intake adapter that could be sucking air? Also have you checked the valve setting .006 intake and exhaust? Plus on an unrelated thing,what about the clutches and belt? Worn rear clutch buttons can cause problems on bogging but in a different way. OPT
right at 2 out on screw. stock filter/box. needle at middle setting on e clip. this quad has been here at 3,000 ft altitude since new. it's a 2001. ran just fine 2 yrs ago when parked due to dead battery and lack of patience from previous owner. didn't see any cracks upon inspection, used spray while idling around boots and found no vacuum leaks. clutches/belt looked good. just another example why i hate 2 strokes.. but it ain't gonna whoop me. we'll get it. thanks for the instructions. i'll go over everything again and double check it all. thanks OPT!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry,thinking it was a 325 or 330 4-stroke! I'm sure you checked compression,plus crank seals could be needing replaced especially since it set up!! Bad about sucking air,crank seal distortion because of crank can stay full of gas.The main culprit is behind the drive clutch,but you say it idles ok??! OPT

Old 08-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

oh yeah, idles like it's brand new....not a miss to the idle circuit at all. that's why i'm puzzled. but, you gave me some direction and things to check and double check. so, i'm on it. game on!