Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Slotted nut tool --- Where can I buy ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slotted nut tool --- Where can I buy ????

I would like to buy a slotted nut socket tool for my polaris big boss 400 2cly (ome. pn. 2870967). I've found 2 web sites so far (spx polaris and rv service tools) that have it but one wants a polaris dealer # and will denied the order if you place one. The other, you can't order it at all it doesn't have a add to cart on the page. It just has a pix and discrip....

any help ????????

Old 08-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

If its for the nut behind the flywheel, just use a punch, or something blunt and a hammer. Try not to damage the nut though. Remember its reverse theads. I've done a couple of them this way and it works well.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HydraulicKnight
If its for the nut behind the flywheel, just use a punch, or something blunt and a hammer. Try not to damage the nut though. Remember its reverse theads. I've done a couple of them this way and it works well.
Not necessary to get the tool,just be sure to use blue loctite (medium strength) on the threads,the nut can back off even if reverse threads! OPT

Old 10-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

not to bring up yet another old thread but when putting the (slit nut) back on(mine backed itself off) can i just reverse this process with loctite and just punch tighten it? i cant find a torque spec on it and do not have the tool..

Old 10-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes just blue locktite and use a dull round punch and give it a sharp rap to stake it in place.I had the slotted socket and it's no big deal whether you use it or stake it with a punch. The main thing is to use lock tite as the factory saw fit not to use any to begin with.I guess they're reasoning was since it had left hand threads the force of the engine would keep this nut tight.. Wrong! I've had several of these back off over the years grinding down the back of stator plates,allowing cam sprockets to wobble and break woodruff keys.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

opt ur the man...mine backed way off, took it off with my fingers..smh

Old 10-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

when i took my latest 400 engine apart I found that nut is seized on. I have beat on it and beat on it. the nut is very damaged, I assume from being taken off and beat on many times in the past. even with my seized connecting rod stopping the crank from spinning I still cant get it off.
I was thinking about getting a deep socket and grinding some slots in it to fit the slits on the nut and using an impact wrench. ?

Old 10-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

yeah probably went my route and used the red loctite ...gonna need some heat

Old 10-21-2015, 07:48 AM
Trailblazer

didn't try the socket thing, gave it one little tap with an air chisel and it snapped free

Quick Reply: Slotted nut tool --- Where can I buy ????