Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 Polaris 500 EFI X2 - Lights are "on" even when nobody is home

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Polaris 500 EFI X2 - Lights are "on" even when nobody is home

I have got an electrical problem with 2007 Polaris X2 500 EFI. All lights that are either switchable (headlights etc.) or non-switchable (rear lights) stay on when I shut down the machine. Sometime the lights flicker on/off, and sometimes they just stay on. Almost feels like a short somewhere. The lights work perfect when the machine is on (no flickering). The problem remains even when the key is removed, and/or the kill switch is set to off.

Although it did not seem to be an ignition switch related problem, I completely removed the switch and the lights still remained on. So aside from removing the battery terminal, I cannot find another way to turn the lights off.

If it was a loose ground, I could see the lights not working at all or having the same problem when machine is turned on. If it was a loose live wire, the problem would not go away when machine is turned on.

These machines have the Power Distribution Module (PDM). That could be the culprit, but it is $350+. So I wanted to get expert opinion before going that route. There have been some posts os similar problems, but no-one posted resolution.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. it sounds alot like the ecm is bad as they had a massive recall on them around 06'. i thought the 07's had the updated american made ecm;s that are sivler instead of black in color. there have been a few on here that had basicly the same issue as you w/ the lights not shutting off and running the battery flat because of the ecm. (btw it;s the same modular you are refering too i believe)

Old 08-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Have the dealer reflash your machine,may solve the problem or may narrow it down to where the problem is. Better than just throwing parts at it. OPT

Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the '07s had the new ecm too, but that doesn't mean it's not the problem.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I thought the '07s had the new ecm too, but that doesn't mean it's not the problem.
That is correct! Or at least my 07 has the American made.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, it is the silver color (not black) ECM, so I am guessing it is the U.S. version ECM (PDM). I was going to just get the part online and change it out (easy change). I did talk to a couple of dealers, and they asked me to bring it in (no surprise here).

Here is the best part - one dealer told me bring it in for a quick look (check the codes etc.) at no cost. If he chooses to do full diagnostics, it will be $65. Their shop rate is $65/hour (Almost unheard of). Other Polaris dealers are close to $100/hour. This is a mom&pop Polaris dealership in Utah.

Not sure what "Reflash" means on the ECM. Is it like a software reset/reprogram? I guess the dealer would know.

BTW... The machine has 129 miles and 16 hours. What a shame.. Dont really care, cause I am die hard Polaris fan (My family has a number of Sportsman - and this is the first one with a problem).

Old 08-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If your machine is an EFI as you first posted,THEN the recall on the ecms DON'T apply to you!! Only CARB models were affected! Your ECM (or ECU) is completely different incorporating a lot more functions for ignition,sensors,etc! "Reflash" means to reset the ECM (should be called ECU on the efi systems) and if this fails then the Digital Wrench software possibly can find the source of the electrical problem! OPT

Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If your machine is an EFI as you first posted,THEN the recall on the ecms DON'T apply to you!!
Yes, it is 500 EFI. I have not heard of any recalls (Saw a number of them on 2004, 2005, 2006 Sportsmans). The dealer I plan to take it too also checks the serial number for updates. He will do those, as needed.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lasvegasboyz
Yes, it is the silver color (not black) ECM, so I am guessing it is the U.S. version ECM (PDM). I was going to just get the part online and change it out (easy change). I did talk to a couple of dealers, and they asked me to bring it in (no surprise here).

Here is the best part - one dealer told me bring it in for a quick look (check the codes etc.) at no cost. If he chooses to do full diagnostics, it will be $65. Their shop rate is $65/hour (Almost unheard of). Other Polaris dealers are close to $100/hour. This is a mom&pop Polaris dealership in Utah.

Not sure what "Reflash" means on the ECM. Is it like a software reset/reprogram? I guess the dealer would know.

BTW... The machine has 129 miles and 16 hours. What a shame.. Dont really care, cause I am die hard Polaris fan (My family has a number of Sportsman - and this is the first one with a problem).

How does one have a 2007 machine with only 16 hours and 129 miles on it ?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Spdecat
How does one have a 2007 machine with only 16 hours and 129 miles on it ?
dang. ive got 125 hrs. and 500 miles and i thought I didnt ride mine enough

Quick Reply: 07 Polaris 500 EFI X2 - Lights are "on" even when nobody is home