Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what is the angle drive fluid for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Spdecat
I just can't figure out why so many owners don't have a owners manual . I keep mine in the back in a water proof bag . In it I wright down everything that I'v ever done to the machine at what miles and hours . It lists every part that was ever replaced , what fluids I used , when those fluids were changed , everything . The next owner will get all this info showing him the complete history of the machine . most owners of used machines should get this info . I don't understand why the owner who bought the machine new can't pass along the owners manual that goes with the machine .
We took quite a few in trade and a lot of people for whatever reason take their manuals out(either to check when doing service, forget to put back in,just leave in the house and can't find,etc! We had to order a few owners manuals when we resold the machines! Lot of this happens. OPT

Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
We took quite a few in trade and a lot of people for whatever reason take their manuals out(either to check when doing service, forget to put back in,just leave in the house and can't find,etc! We had to order a few owners manuals when we resold the machines! Lot of this happens. OPT

If I was the buyer I'd be saying where's the owners manual , and show me a list of all the maintenance ever done to that machine . Without that information I'd walk .

Old 09-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I was the buyer I'd be saying where's the owners manual , and show me a list of all the maintenance ever done to that machine . Without that information I'd walk .
you would do alot of walking as alot of people don't record thier work they do or had done. i agree it's a good idea for sure. for the most part unles the dealer actually sold the unit new and knows they did the work on it only there is no way they can say," oh yea the service was done regualy". some times who have to rely on your own knowledge of what you see and some times trust(which i really wouldn't) they are telling the truth. the guy i bought mine from is in the middle of moving to thier new house and says he might have the book packed away, but i would not let it stop me from buying my bike.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

SORRY,didn't fully explain how we did business! We only took in CLEAN machines in trade and I personally was responsible for doing a full service on each one and along with the service,if any repairs of any sort were needed were done! Also maintenance items such as brake pads,etc if needed were done because we warrantied ANY used machine we sold for 30 days parts/labor! A lot a of dealers don't do this hence the reason for the attention to the machines! If manuals were missing I would have the parts manager order a replacement if the previous owner didn't have it (some as I stated if owner couldn't locate,the manual was damaged by water,mud,dogs ate it,kids may have lost it,WHATEVER the reason) Over a 22 year period,I even sold a bunch of used machines myself while still on my service lift being gone over! Clean,used machines were always gobbled up QUICK! If the manual was missing we would mail it to the new customer! As far as maintenance records,if we ever serviced the trade in machine we would provide copies to the new owner IF requested, but the machine usually sold itself,records or not! On another note,we TURNED DOWN a lot of ragged out,worn out machines even though it may have cost a sale for the simple fact people wanted some sort of guarantee if we tried to resell it(this we learned real quick when we started the business!! I've seen junk that salvage yards would laugh at that people would try to trade in We would politely say they were better off selling on CL, E-bay,or local newspaper! A lot of times we STILL sold em a new atv,Ranger,etc !! This I believe is what has helped us keep the doors open even in these tough times! This,along with what I always called my motto in the service department when I would call customers on repair quotes that were extensive: You may not like what I may tell you,but I won't lie to you! This earned us a lot of repeat business!The shop is still doing pretty good without me for almost a year now,I only get a call every now and then if they have a problem and they need an Old Polaris Techs! Sorry for the long post! OPT

Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

spedcat, im sure were all sorry were not as perfect as you... they didnt have demand fluid so i brought the angle fluid to the counter. the money hungry parts guy saiid yes and proceded to charge $16.49 for it!!! guess what, its going back with a few choice words

Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

by the way i only went there because it was the only dealer i could get to at that time. nortgh american warhorse is a rip off and i knew that going in...

Old 09-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Here's how it works you buy a new quad , you get a owners manual . In the back of that manual are pages where you can list the service that's been done . So you or the dealer do something to the machine . You take out the manual write down date,mileage,hours and what was done in the little book . Take's like 2 minutes and you do that every time . You can refer back to it whenever needed which helps in planning your service schedule , your know when your pads were changed , when the belt your running was installed and at what miles . And like I said it takes no time of effort to keep track .

Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

thanks for the tip, but i have a folder and dont write in my manual and i dont keep it in the machne. my point is if you would read past what you want to read is they didnt have the demand fluid so i asked if the angle drive fluid works he said yewah. get it? enough "lectures" about this owner's manual crap. honestly

Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Whats this stuff? Its says its for BOTH hub and centralized AWD systems right on the label.

Name:  DSCF0532.jpg
Views: 4726
Size:  60.9 KB

Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLC
Whats this stuff? Its says its for BOTH hub and centralized AWD systems right on the label.

i believe thats the stuff i needed

Quick Reply: what is the angle drive fluid for?