Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Quick oil injection questions:

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed my injection system yesterday and was wondering:

1- What powers that little gear when pulling out the pump? and do I need to top up some gear fluid somewhere?
2-I unplugged the sensor going into the tank. Is that O.K.?
3- Have any of you done this leaving the stock throttle cable in place? I did but was told it could eventually stick...

Thanks

Old 03-14-2001, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

#3 dont have a clue
#2 if you tried it out and nothing shorted or caught fire I would assume yes.
#1 I have heard the injection system is similar to the blaster, there is a little round metal "peg thingie" (only way to describe it) that goes into the motor and is attached to the crank(?) Leaving it on there probally wouldnt damage it if it were lubricated (which I havent got a clue if it would be lubricated from the oil pump or from the inside of the case?) you should definetly look into it.. I doubt it would do any damage soon but later down the road you may have problems? Anyways just a though...

Old 03-15-2001, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

The oil pump is driven by the counterbalancer, via the gear on the pump. Yes, you will need to top off the counter balancer oil. Unplug the electrical connector and tape it up. Very possible that the cable could stick. A single cable is about $ 20.00 US. Using the single cable requires a little modification to the throttle housing.

Old 03-15-2001, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

I took out the injection system when I rebuilt my motor. As Nemo said, the injector works off the counterbalance. I put an extra 0.5 oz in the counter oil reserve since I no longer have the injection installed. Bought the block off plate and throttle cable from HPD. I did not have to modify anything on the throttle housing to make the single cable work. After looking at that injector I can't believe I relied on that thing to keep my motor lubed!

Old 03-15-2001, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Cajun...I know what you mean. Mine was all grungy and it seemed so low-tech?!?! Plus I shaved about 6 lbs off. (oil included)

I leaft the dual throttle cable on...doesn't seem to stick. I am just going to add a spring to the end that goes to the old oil location to keep tension on the cable. Should work for now.

Brian