Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OH NO, a funny short

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OH NO, a funny short

02 Polaris 500 sportsman.
Sometimes it fine and others nothing. If the dash lights are on all is fine, electric start is fine and everything works as it should. When it is not lit I can still pull start it and it will run fine minus lights, fan anything electrical. This is easy to tell in the evening, but not so easy during the day. I have checked in the pod and moved wires around and sometimes it comes back and other times still nothing. Ride it and it will come and go? Any ideas how to tackle finding this short or is a a common issue with a simple fix? I would appreciate any help.
Thank you in advance.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

This is a common issue and you are probing in the right place but not far enough! Short can be in the main harness as it twists around from the left side up under the pod,short in the headlight connector or harness(ground wire especially),short in the main switch as it ties into the harness,or from the left switch,or the harness that goes directly into the speedo! I've found em in several places in and around the pod area Hopes this helps a little. You just have to slit the sheathing and check each wire! Or sometimes you can see a bare wire causing the intermittent problem. OPT

Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
This is a common issue and you are probing in the right place but not far enough! Short can be in the main harness as it twists around from the left side up under the pod,short in the headlight connector or harness(ground wire especially),short in the main switch as it ties into the harness,or from the left switch,or the harness that goes directly into the speedo! I've found em in several places in and around the pod area Hopes this helps a little. You just have to slit the sheathing and check each wire! Or sometimes you can see a bare wire causing the intermittent problem. OPT
thats why mines all apart to check on those wires before i go out.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a bad circuit breaker also. They will click off and on when they go bad.