Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

electrical issues need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical issues need help!!!

I have a 07 sportsman 500 x2 efi and can not get it to do anything. Long story short a few of the wires in the harness under the headlight ended up shaffing on the headlight pod bracket and cut in two. mainly the ones 4 key switch and headlight. Anyways soldiered and shrink wrap them up put together and rode for a few hours. Next day it wont turn on. Can hear fuel pump trying to run and throttle body keeps clicking but no lights, winch,speedo or turn over. took key switch out to test power and it is only showing 4.8 volts on yellow hot wire coming in only, no other wires have power, turn on key and drops to 2.8 on it and also solid red wire and red with white stripe wire but black wire on switch shows 11.8. shouldnt all wires be showing 12 volts?? if i jump soliniod motor turns over fine but no start so batterey is putting out enough?? Turn off handle bar switch and evrything stops and key switch shows 4.8volts on both yellow and red wires.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had em just like this to where you really have to go deep into the harness coming up from the left side of the frame and start replacing the wires OR just replace the harness!Cheaper for a shop just to replace for labor reasons,but just depends on how much time you want to spend on chasing wires? Harness costs $213 plus shipping through Cycle Parts Warehouse. Maybe other sites may be a little cheaper,but is just up to you and how much time you want to invest in repairing or replacing. OPT

Old 09-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Trailblazer

after posting last night I went farther into the harness and can find no more wires with problems. Wondering now if its a ecm or pdm problem as I have voltage but it is low on some wires??? Stealership might just be getting it to look over!!

Old 09-30-2011, 07:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Did your soldiered and shrink wrap repair let go again. Maybe not enough wire play for steering now?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

no . took it all apart just to check all is good there. just confused on the key switch only getting 4.8 volts before key is turned on. plus from reading other posts about pcm and ecm giving off low voltage has me thinking maybe when wires broke it might have fried something else with ther being no fuses on this unit!!