Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

charging system

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging system

2000 Magnum 325. I replaced battery back in May. Replaced voltage regulator back in March. It set for couple months and went to start and nothing. No power at all in battery. Pulled battery and put on charger. While on battery on charger tested for ohms between pos and neg wires. It tested for low ohms. There should be none (not 'o' but open.) Pulled red wire for Regulator and retested 'open' so good then. Tested stator wires and Yellow to ground test bad, had ohms and should have been 'open'. Pulled flywheel and looked stator over and looked good so cut yellow wire beside stator and rechecked on stator side (to check if just wire to stator or stator problem). Still tested bad. ok bad stator? I just happen to recheck for ohms at battery leads, without battery and still reading ohms (this was with all 3 stator wires disconnected from regulator but red and brown wires connected at regulator). Disconnected red wire at regulator left brown connected and did not read ohms at battery leads. So reconnected red and disconnected brown. Read ohms again. So thinking bad regulator also. I then disconnected all wires from regulator. With it still installed I then checked for ohms from red (power) wire to ATV ground and got a ohm reading. It seems like the regulator is shorted out inside to me?

So I'm thinking I need a new stator and voltage regulator. What do you think?

Old 10-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

You're making it a lot more complicated than necessary! Check the charged battery with a load tester especially since it had been sitting a couple months(death sentence for a lot of batteries,lead/acid batteries normally LOSE 1% charge daily while not in use if not on a maintainer!) They can short out a cell in this period of time or be bad straight out of the box!They can show 12 volts,BUT amperage could be low under a load! Get it running then check charging at battery. If doesn't show 14-14.5 volts then suspect regulator/rectifier,especially if the reg/rectifier is getting 12 volts in on the red wire! If no voltage to regulator red wire,then stator could be a problem! Ohms resistance readings are not always accurate in diagnosing problems! Good luck OPT