Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 sportsman 700 over charging?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman 700 over charging?????

hello all. new to the forum and looking for some information.
i have a 04 sportsman 700 (5/10/04 manufacture date) what is happening is when i rev up to and hold around 2500-3000 rpms the battery icon flashes. battery is farely new so i checked voltage at battery , cold idle it has 12.8v and as it revs it climbs to 17.6v and thats when the battery icon starts to flash.
so question is could voltage reg. part # 4011053 have failed and if so will that also cause inaccurate rpm readings??
thanks in advance for any info.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum! At least according to your build date you should have the Kokusan ignition and charging system and the revised regulator/rectifier,but I would make sure on the electrical connections,but sounds like what usually happens when they go out,either undercharge or over charge. I've had em past 18 volts before and have had the battery hot to the touch! I would have the battery checked out on a load tester too as the overcharging could do the battery in also(just depends on how long this has been going on!) Plus yes high voltage could be the cause of inaccurate rpm readings also! OPT

Old 10-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

well thank you for the reply.
unfortunately no dealer in florida stocked the voltage regulator so i had to order and a week later....with new regulator..
same problem occurs , voltage climbs to around 18v and then the battery icon starts flashing and the rpms start falling to 0 while holding half throttle.
so i unplugged and inspected every plug and connector and put a little diaelectric grease on each and still same issue occurs.
could someone lead me down the road to rightousness?

thanks in advance.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There are about 3 different regulators with different build dates along with the control module for a 2004 efi 700? Did you get the right one? If so,then you may have to check out the stator.Kokusan electronics are reliable,but with electrical,problems can and will happen! Time for a manual if you don't already have one! OPT

Old 10-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

no efi.
carb bike.
did get correct part for build date. part # was on old unit which matched new part.
no manual , figured there was others that may have encountered this issue and resolved.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by reeloutlaw
no efi.
carb bike.
did get correct part for build date. part # was on old unit which matched new part.
no manual , figured there was others that may have encountered this issue and resolved.
Hopefully someone has a manual and can give you the electrical resistance specs and especially the info on the stator AC output test,(possibly the cause of the problem)if not then you can check PartShark.com for an online manual. Good luck OPT

Old 10-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Hopefully someone has a manual and can give you the electrical resistance specs and especially the info on the stator AC output test,(possibly the cause of the problem)if not then you can check PartShark.com for an online manual. Good luck OPT
OPT
the local dealer has to order the manual so i emailed partshark and unfortunately they replied back today to inform me there computer system crashed which had over 1200 manuals in it...
so i did some research on the intertube and have not found any solid info on the stator ohms output. this is what i do have , the 1 yellow and 2 yellow with red tracers wire coming from stator if i check the ohms of resistance from solid yell to yell w/red tracer i have 1.0 ohms but i also have continuity but when i check to the other yell w/red tracer i have nothing at all , ohms or continuity.

does this sound right
thanks for all your suggestions.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just check each yellow and yellow/red to ground,should show some resistance(may be very little) but should NOT ohm out (zero out) on the meter,or the regulator/rectifier could be shorted out?.Still you need to check the stator. Just wait until you get the manual before throwing parts at it! Normally when checking the three yellow wires,should show about the same resistance between each other with the probes,BUT when you reverse the probes should show differently resistance readings between the yellow wires using one yellow as a base for the red and black probe. OPT