Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a fun ATV to ride.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The adc is only for the front tires. The ebs is always on and thats what controls the rear tires. Polaris added adc because of their 4wd system you can't have 4 wheel engine braking like other models. If you don't want the back tires to lock up when descending steep loose hills slightly press the throttle just a little and it will keep them from locking up.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Tonyxp
If you don't want the back tires to lock up when descending steep loose hills slightly press the throttle just a little and it will keep them from locking up.
And then you go even faster.

The EBS/ADC on a Polaris is not my cup of tea.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

I am not joking with you, kinda like abs on a car. Use your brake lever and aplly a little bit of throttle this way you will have some front braking and the rear tires won't lock up on you. I know it sounds weird to give it gas to slow down.

If your tires lock up when riding you press less on the brake to regain control, to press less on the abs you need to give it a little throttle. This is my best way of explaining it without showing. Try next time you are out riding.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
The problems have been quite minor but it would be nicer if they didn't exist. That was the third time the EPS
quit working but it always comes back a short time later.

The only real issue has been and intermittent ADC which to me isn't worth having fixed. It works all the time on
the rear wheels but the ADC seldom if ever works on the front wheels.

I would say that having the rear wheels lock up and slide down steep loose hills has made me a better rider.
The rear wheel system is/was called EBS by Polaris. It's "engine braking" only to the rear wheels. The ADC system is what slows down the more important front wheels. I'm pretty used to the EBS system. I either pump the brake lever or keep a light throttle on to keep the belt engaged in low gear going down hills. Sounds weird but I've never felt out of control going down a hill. When I have a trailer full of wet firewood I keep on the brake going downhill. Don't let it get out of control.

Of course, someone beat me to it. It does work even if it seems counter intuitive.

Last edited by MooseHenden; 02-06-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

I do know and understand how the system works. I just think it is a poorly designed and engineered engine braking system.

Even when the ADC works like it's supposed to I am still very un-impressed with it. It only works at one speed.

The ATV has never been "out of control" but I don't think it has ever has things under control either.

Out of all the ATVs I have ridden this has my least favorite engine braking system including the ADC.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have the option of just un-plugging the ADC which would leave you just EBS . That way you won't need to worry if it works or not it will be like the older machines that only have EBS .

Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think even with the ADC not functioning on the front wheels its still a better system than the old EBS.

I personally think the old EBS is dangerous and I have personally witnessed more than one accident because of the way it works. Locking up only the rear wheels is dangerous in my opinion.

WHY when you are in 4-wd descending a steep hill would you want engine braking only applied to the rear wheels??? And why when descending a steep hill would you not want it in 4-wd?

I'd rather have no EBS at all.

How and where I ride good engine braking is really nice to have. The ability of an ATV to descend a hill is as important to me as how the ATV ascends the hill.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

I never had EBS on my 500 it was a option that I never took . I always worked the throttle making the bike seem like it had EBS . But ya even doing that my *** would sometimes skid my rear wheels . I have no idea how the new Yamaha will work there system seems different again . Time will tell if I like it or not .

Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bgirard420
I'd say you were just a little off camber

Can't deny the stability of the Polaris in situations like that though.
This 550 Touring is very very stable.

I am impressed not that me being impressed means anything.