Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My new ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new ATV

Well I was shoping for a 400EX 2000-2005sih and after hitting a bunch of them priced from 1500-2500 I saw an add for a 2005 Polaris 500 Scrambler 4x4 on demand. Now I was not looking for a 4x4 and I as looking low buck but at 2500 I figured what the heck.

I get out to see it and the guy is having money tourble and the quad looks brand new. New drive belt and chain and the old parts that came off looked ok. This was really taken care of. I got it for a lot less than he was asking and tommrow I am heading to ride it in Eaton Ohio wiht the kid on the back. Can not wait.

I dont know a lot about Polaris stuff and am getting back into the sport after a 10 year vacation. Is there anything I need to know about these modles? Anything I need to look for that break easy?

Anything you Ploaris guys know that could help a newbie out would be grat and thank you for your input and time.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Polaris Scrambler with the 500 is pretty bulletproof. Great, strong engine. Chains need adjustment every so often but no more than others with chains. It's a nice blend of sport and utility. It's heavy for a sport but you get 4wd to get through the nasty terrain. Decent machine.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did notice it is quite heavy. that may take some getting use to. Watchs the worst that happens I only have 1500 in it I can always sell it for someting lighter. As for now it seems like it is good for the trail rideing I am looking to do.

Couple weird thinsg. One the break lever on the handle bars operates both frount and back break and the lower break peddel doesnt seem to do anythong. looks like some sort of after market kit or soemthing. never seen it before.

And it is going to take a bit to get use to a totaly auto Quad. I am use to shifting and feel like I am going to over rev it but it just keeps going. The low range stuff when the clutch enguages seems kinda sudden and will take a little to get use to takeing off... verey much so in tight spots and going up hill if I start at the base.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The belt engagement does take some getting used to. After awhile you learn how to feather it just right for the speed you need. Mixed emotions on the single lever braking. It's nice in a panic stop to just have one lever. But, you can't really hit the front brakes only to start a slide going into a corner. The brake pedal controls only the rear brakes. Sometimes the cylinder the pedal pushes gets stuck in. Once this happens you can drive with it that way. The brakes are, oddly, not continually applied, or so my mechanic said before I fixed mine.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

What am I looking at to fix the breaks? Or do I just need to fix the stuck plunger?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Often times the rear foot brake gets so little use that they'll freeze up. You may just have to work with it to get things moving properly again. I almost never use the foot brake since the single lever operates both the front and rear. 60%/40% front to rear. Although I do intentionally pump the foot brake from time to time to keep things moving.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

the only time I use the foot brake is when goofing off and sliding the back end around if I am doing regular everyday riding I just use the hand lever

Old 10-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The foot brake is for emergencies when the main brake fails. I check mine once in a while like after a good washing I'll hit it to dry the brakes.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider

may need to bleed rear brake, loacte small resevoir goping to it, make sure its full, bleed at rear caliper with cap off of resevoir, may take quite a bit to get it to bleed, they can be a pain, after you get it working try to remember to use it when you ride and maybe it will stay workin, maybe not

Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Back brake is a MUST for me. When going down nasty hills you won't want to use the fronts.