Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1987 Polaris Cyclone 250 - Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Polaris Cyclone 250 - Need Help!!

Hello,

Someone just GAVE me this 1987 Polaris Cyclone 250 ATV. I know NOTHING about these, but I do know the carburetor is loose and it's missing the ignition key.

Once I tighten up the carburetor, I would like to see if I can start it, so my question is this, is there a way I can bypass the ignition switch to the ON position?

Also, what else should I know about this bike?

Thank you for all your help!
IronBear

Old 11-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

You should know that you have an endless money pit and after you are done and broke you will still not have anything worth riding.

Sorry but these old things were not worth messing with when they were new.

And yes you can bypass the switch.

How long has it been since it ran?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Some parts are still available,some not! Ignition parts show to be available or updated and engine parts are not a problem,BUT you could get deep in the middle of it and have to track down some parts at salvage yards.etc, or try to retrofit newer parts?Just depends on overall shape it's in! They are getting rare and kinda sorta collectible,BUT can be a money pit and will still be an old machine! Have to agree with Overdrive on this one. Parts were actual starting to show NLA about 10-12 years ago on the the Cyclone! Try to put a pencil to the cost before you dive in over your head! PS you can jump two wires on the switch (forgot what colors?) and ground the plug on the head and pull recoil to see if you have spark. Doesn't have to have a battery to check for spark on the old ones(magneto triggered ignition!) If it sparks and you want to crank it, have a battery hooked up to keep from any electrical damage. Good luck on whatever you decide to do! OPT

Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

if you can get it running using OPT's instructions, I'd ride it till it won't go no more and bone it out, I wouldn't recommend spending much if any money to get it going, I've messed with a couple of them, one a 2x4 and one a 4x4. I managed to make a little money on the 4x4, but barely broke even on the 2x4 and I only had $150 in it after I had it running.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if it were me i would take carb off first and clean it if you decide to try to start it. or even better, do a compresssion check to see if it needs a rebuild. that easy quick test may answer all the questions weather to put money into a money pit to begin with.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned

Thanks guys!

Well I got this quad for free so my plans were to start with the carburetor, then check for spark. The headlights do illuminate when I pull the starter so that tells me the magneto is at least good. It's actually in pretty decent condition, but I'm not going to put any money into this rig, just try to get it started and go from there.

Would anyone know where I can get a downloadable service manual?

Thanks again!
IronBear

Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can try PartShark.com and see if they can help you on the older models. The first factory manuals we had were lumped into multiple years in hard back binders! If you can find one from 85-88 should show you the basics(will be some differences). 89 and up was the second generation body style. OPT

Old 11-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

I remember years ago at the Polaris dealership I used to work at a customer had one of these.

It was always in for some sort of repairs. None of us wanted to work on it.

The designs of the engine and the belt drive and the trans were fine. It is basically still used today.

The problem was every single other part of the machine was total 100% JUNK.

Polaris knew they had to get it togather if they were going to stay in the ATV business.

In the early 90's they really started to improve their machines where you could actually ride them for a week without something wearing out.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I was not embarrassed about how ugly the fuel tank and overall design of Polaris was any more when they came out with the 89 250 Trail Boss 2x4 and 4x4!! Especially when the shifter was no longer on the transmission itself and had an honest to goodness waist high level shifter!When we really started selling more was when the they came out with the 350 in 90 and could smoke a lot of other utility quads at that time! Still remember the first Trail boss 350L 2x4 that I tested down our long road by the side of the shop! Smooth and ran like a sewing machine. Seems like from then on people quit laughing at Polaris atvs and started taking them seriously when deciding on a new atv! We won over a lot of previous Honda and Yamaha riders!! OPT

Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Even the 250 Trail Boss could smoke most all the other brands of utility quads at that time. The 350L would run away and hide from them.

Quick Reply: 1987 Polaris Cyclone 250 - Need Help!!