Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1994 400 sportsman overide switch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 400 sportsman overide switch question

I am going to look at a 1994 400 sportsman 4x4 tomorrow morning. Guy says it runs great, but dies in gear at idle, and does not go into 4x4. My dad has a 2000 Magnum 325 4x4, when he got it the 4x4 did not work and it would die in reverse if the override button was not kept pushed in. After riding it around for awhile and sliding the 4x4 button and pushing the overide button the 4x4 started working great, however you still have to hold the override button just to be in reverse. So my question is does this just seem like a override switch problem with the 400? Or any other ideas. Polaris seems to pretty much use the same parts year by year and model by model based on the few i have owned. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks guys.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

On the 94 400 just pull the plastic tank cover and the left side panel which uncovers the circuit board. at the top are the black wires. Trace the one going to the reverse over ride module and pull its black wire from the circuit board. If it won't die when you turn off the ignition switch,you've pulled the wrong wire!(cdi kill wire) This should eliminate the dying when placing in gear and the yellow button is defeated. You will have full power in reverse at ALL times now! PS: never thought they needed the reverse over ride anyway! On the awd not working,could be the bulb in the switch burned out( in this system the bulb has to work to complete the circuit!) or the switch in the gear shift box could be worn. See if the awd switch lights up in low range! They usually do in low range if the shift box has worn and won't light up in hi range unless you push a little more forward on the lever!(this way you can verify if the awd bulb is good or not also!) On the Magnum you can pop the front panel and the limiter is located on the left side(mounted side ways) Just pull the black lead from the circuit board and see if it does ok! PLUS on both machines make sure you have about 1/8" slack at the throttle lever also before you disconnect wires! Could be as simple as that! OPT

Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds easy enough thanks! Looks to be a pretty good quad it is still on original tires, so miles can not be real high. So I would hope the gear switch is not worn. Any ways to bypass the light bulb? I would think toggle switch?
Any other problem things to look for with this model? I know I have had problems with rear shocks with my scrambler, magnum 330 and my dads 325. Also the rear foot brake master cyl.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I never tried to by pass the light while at the shop(had too many bulbs in stock!) Plus if you unscrew the the awd switch from the throttle housing and look at the back you will see how small the bulb really is and the small contact points!
One of the problems was the old red handled brake mater cylinders,just didn't hold up and the replacement is much better! The rear brakes on these are mechanically operated not hydraulic and stop usually well! If its in good shape and not abused should be alright,BUT get a manual as there are a LOT of service items on the 4x4 400 from fluids,chains,grease fittings,etc!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the information. So the bulb itself is replaceable at the dealer? I will get back with the results if i buy the quad, but with the information you gave me and the price the guy is asking I think it will be in my garage this time tomorrow.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If bulb is bad the # is 4030047 about 4 bucks. Make sure you put it in a plastic baggie or you can loose it as its that small! And when you install it just give it a half turn to line up the contacts on the base of the bulb with the socket holder! Good luck OPT

Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Pro Rider

to wire around shifter switch, find the red-grey wires that go to the hubs, now find a terminal on terminal board that gets hot with key on, take a piece of wire , hook a spade ternial that will fit the terminal on circuit board,make wire go to 2 wires and go to red side of hub wires, awd switch will still control awd but dont need a good switch at shifter, might also do away with light bulb having to work, hope this makes sense, Ive done it on my magnum and 1or 3 older sportsmans , works fine

Old 12-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
to wire around shifter switch, find the red-grey wires that go to the hubs, now find a terminal on terminal board that gets hot with key on, take a piece of wire , hook a spade ternial that will fit the terminal on circuit board,make wire go to 2 wires and go to red side of hub wires, awd switch will still control awd but dont need a good switch at shifter, might also do away with light bulb having to work, hope this makes sense, Ive done it on my magnum and 1or 3 older sportsmans , works fine
This would work to provide power to the hubs,but it would be full time power to the hub coils and not only by passes the shifter switch but also the push button switch(on the 94-98 model Sportsman 400, Explorer and Scrambler models the awd button bulb and switch is tied into the shifter switch!) Unless you you installed another interrupter switch inline on the red/white that you tied into the gray hub wires, you have no way of kicking it out of being in this mode when the ignition is on! You effectively shorten the life of the armature plates by having them constantly magnetized! I kept telling customers when the push buttons first appeared in the early 90's(88-89 models didn't have the button option!) not to leave them engaged in awd constantly and I replaced countless armature plates that were worn out and magnetized way before they should have been! Granted, bypassing will work,but you need to install a switch to cut power to the hub coils when not needed! This is same thing I've even told later model atv owners,(even owners with the centralized awd gear cases)not to just forget and constantly leave in awd mode when not needed. Even when the gear position switches were finally installed on the transmissions where they should have been in the first place,NOT on the shift box and tied into the push button switch bulb to complete the circuit ! Finally Polaris learned and the bulb itself doesn't have a direct effect on the awd connection anymore(for quite awhile now),just the switch! OPT

Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

Well i just got home with it I think it is just the light bulb for the 4x4 the guy said it quit lighting up when the 4x4 quit working, I am going to pick one up tomorrow on my way passed the local polaris shop. As for the override I am going to try the black wire solution in a little while. Lights also quit working on him so i am going to trace those wires as well. Any fuses to look for? Odometer works but speeder meter does not (no big Deal to me)
Overall nice condition well maintained and lubed up, tight suspention, nice plastics, good power. Even has a snow plow. Little over 1100 miles. Not bad for $625 I do not think.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There is a 20 amp circuit breaker in a sealed plastic pouch usually tucked under the left rear fender/frame area in front of the battery and solenoid area. It either works or doesn't! They can corrode in the pouch and short out. If the speed doesn't register it could be a broken or frozen speedo cable or there is an adapter on the transmission where the speedo cable hooks to that has a small speedo drive "key" wire inside that goes into the transmission that turns the adapter. This little part often breaks over a period of time. Sounds good for the price! Get the manual and keep it maintained. Be sure to check the dipstick under the carb. This holds 75cc's of 30 wt or any multi weight oil for the counter balancer area. If it's milky looking,could be time for water pump seals. PLUS I would drain the hubs and replace with Polaris hub fluid! These are two crucial things to check out first!(manual will show all you need to know!) Good luck OPT

Quick Reply: 1994 400 sportsman overide switch question