Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CTV stuck in high gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTV stuck in high gear

Hey guys. I have a 1998 trailboss 250 with the CTV automatic. I was going down the road nearing top speed, nothing ridiculous or out of the ordinary. Then when I slowed down the engine bogged down and nearly died until I got back into it. Then when I try to start it, it rolls forward. I took it apart and there was a little arm that got stuck up (picture). I took a hammer and smacked it and it then went back to its place and the transmission went back to normal. Then I drove it and the same thing happened again. Does anyone have any clue why its doing this? I dont know much about these or what those little arms even do. Thanks in advance!!

Name:  2011-11-04164512.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  2011-11-04164452.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  45.3 KB

Old 12-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Counter weight got stuck! They will usually do this when the plain bearings in the clutch wear down, ramp buttons worn down, spring gets weak,etc.The clutch gets wobbly and basically "out of round" for lack of a better explanation! One of the three weights will catch. Possibly time for a rebuild or at least check out the ramp buttons and the bearings(if bearings are worn down to the brass color,time to replace). Plus a lot of the times the clutch will stick when you push down on it. OPT

Old 12-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

Is this a common problem with these? And where do I find these ramp buttons?

Old 12-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you don't have a manual look at Cycle Parts Warehouse at the drive clutch breakdown and also look at the driven clutch breakdown of your model,might as well have it looked at to! There are ramp buttons inside it also. It takes a clutch puller and a spider tool to separate the front clutch halves(both tools about 60 bucks online)Plus you will see the bearings.As far as being common,it usually happened with me when the clutch parts were worn! If you let it go too long and the area where the ramp buttons slide get deeply grooved,then parts rebuild may not help! Also normally you will hear the clutch making a tapping noise,especially if the ramp buttons are worn! A manual is highly suggested! Plus there are plenty of videos on You tube on clutch rebuilds to give you info! OPT

Old 12-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

Okay, yea it has been making that tapping sound for sometime now. What do you suppose the dealer will charge me for a rebuild?

Old 12-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Range Rover

Any broken parts in there? That happened on our 87 TB 250, but there were a bunch of pieces broken in the clutch. I just ended up getting a whole new (used) clutch on ebay for about 50 bucks.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Your first born child Sorry this is a loaded question and couldn't resist! If you can at least bring the clutch in this can save you some labor! If I had to rebuild the whole thing it was usually about an hour and a half labor(off the atv) plus parts. Some I felt comfortable repairing, others,if too grooved up and labor and parts would be as much as a new one,I told the customer he was better off just replacing the assembly.
Get a quote before any work is done! OPT

Old 12-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

Hmm. Sounds like a money pit. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

May not be a money pit! Just have it checked out and see which is your best option. OPT

Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
May not be a money pit! Just have it checked out and see which is your best option. OPT
I wish we had an Old Suzuki Tech lurking around here too

I don't even have a Polaris but I think it's great that you're here helping so many people OPT!

Quick Reply: CTV stuck in high gear