Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

thinking about switching to can am

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about switching to can am

I have a 2006 800 EFI WHICH I LOVE! I love the ride and the seat, I just want a newer machine and power steering. I am really disappointed with the new polaris 850.

colors: I would like black or dark grey. I would have to settle for light silver or bronze

wheel design: I don't like the look of the wheels on the 850 so I would change them to black

for what it will cost to add a winch, wheels brush guards etc to a 850XP EPS I can get a can am 1000 XT with ll the off road stuff already added!

Is there a new sportsman coming any time soon? I love my 800 but the issues above will be a problem unless I really prefer the way it drives!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

I switched to a Cam-am Outlander MAX 800 LTD, i use to ride a Arctic Crapper 700 efi.

This wheeler is one fine piece, the more i ride it, the more i love it. I have 100 miles on it and NOT ONE complaint. My 2up 800 will do 78 mph on tar, and get there fast. IM also getting 24-26 mpg so far, only guessing it will get better with time.

Look around can-amforum.com for more info.

The 1000 cc bike has 82 hp, torque monster.

here is my bike.

Name:  2011-11-28143828.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  110.8 KB
Name:  2011-11-28165838.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  117.9 KB
Name:  2011-11-28165852.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  112.3 KB
Name:  2011-11-28143810.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  82.6 KB

Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you won't be disappointed moving to a can-am

polaris makes a nice atv- but personally, I just love the aggressive feeling on the can-am- and forget about the power- it's insane! tons of power. I like the black also.
To be honest- rinding a can-am (or even a polaris) has ruined any chance I'd ever buy another brute force or kq ever again. (honda might be able to win me back with a few upgrades) I've owned something like 7 can-am atv's- and it's at the point that, when I'm on another atv, all I can think about is being back on a can-am.

silverram- she's a beauty

Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Haven't ridden the 1000 yet. The 800 has ridiculous amounts of power and would be a little faster than the Sportsman 850 XP. The 1000 from what I've seen online with owner videos adds to the 800. I've seen videos where the rider is going along at about 30 mph and hits the throttle. The front end comes up off the ground already doing 30!!! I can't imagine that kind of power, but it has it. Like the others, I don't think you'd be in the least bit disappointed.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I'd buy a CanAm before I'd buy a Polaris.

For me they have the best 4-wd.

Spent some seat time on an 800 Max and really liked it.

I just wish they could cool the clutch off a bit. Maybe they have on the newer ones.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by Specta
I just wish they could cool the clutch off a bit. Maybe they have on the newer ones.

x2 on that!

damn clutch just about cook your leg like a chicken wing they run so hot!
great in the winter- not so great in the summer!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I think they addressed that in the 2012 models???

Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by beergut
you won't be disappointed moving to a can-am

polaris makes a nice atv- but personally, I just love the aggressive feeling on the can-am- and forget about the power- it's insane! tons of power. I like the black also.
To be honest- rinding a can-am (or even a polaris) has ruined any chance I'd ever buy another brute force or kq ever again. (honda might be able to win me back with a few upgrades) I've owned something like 7 can-am atv's- and it's at the point that, when I'm on another atv, all I can think about is being back on a can-am.

silverram- she's a beauty

Thanks beergut. I see you have the pit bull Growler tires, I have been eyeballing those, what can you tell me about them. What kind of riding do you do? How many miles do you have on them? What size did you go with? Did you notice any power loss since they run heavy?

I want a better over all traction tire, I trail ride 95% of the time 5% mud. Out of the 95 % trails 35% is in sand. Sandy Wisconsin trails.

The stock ACT tires kinda suck, at 50 mph in the ditch i can pin it and it just spins sideways. Maybe i have to much power. NAWWW..

Looking forward to hear what you have to say about them.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by silverram323
Thanks beergut. I see you have the pit bull Growler tires, I have been eyeballing those, what can you tell me about them. What kind of riding do you do? How many miles do you have on them? What size did you go with? Did you notice any power loss since they run heavy?

I want a better over all traction tire, I trail ride 95% of the time 5% mud. Out of the 95 % trails 35% is in sand. Sandy Wisconsin trails.

The stock ACT tires kinda suck, at 50 mph in the ditch i can pin it and it just spins sideways. Maybe i have to much power. NAWWW..

Looking forward to hear what you have to say about them.
those are the 26" growler's- and I love them.
In that picture, they have about 350 miles on them.
Not as heavy as the 489's I had- don't think they slowed the outty down any.

I ride new england trails which (as moose can attest to) are very unforgiving! Very very rocky, hilly & muddy. Lots of tree roots and mud pits. Not as much sand, but a lot of packed dirt. So, the growlers grip very nicely over the rocky terrain, very little slipping. Don't have much ride time in sand- so I'm not sure how they would be for you. You might experience more "digging" in the sand.
But in the mud they are great at self cleaning and seem to be quite durable at resisting tears on sharp rocks and protruding small stumps that would destroy my 489's.

I run about 2-4 psi depending on the temp and terrain.

specta has some interesting reviews on the BD's also- they look nice.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks BG, These look real aggressive. I think these are on my wish list now.

Quick Reply: thinking about switching to can am