Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why part-time 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2001, 01:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its mostly a fun thing, And for sure running in two wheel drive is way faster than 4wheel with alot less power being soaked up by drive shaft's.
I had a Wolverine before there great quads but missing 2to4 option .
Matt
2000 500 Scrambler.

Old 03-17-2001, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Fourlix,
I think you should go back and read the quote I took from ATV Action about the Scrambler, and what Mike Penland had to say.

Englishmatt,
I guess with a Polaris the front shaft is not turning when in 2wd. With all the other part-time system everything is still turning, whether in two wheel drive or four, because you cannot unlock the hubs.
I would also think that unless your quad is in a severe state of disrepair, the difference in the drag created by 2wd vs 4wd would be minimal.
The motor is making the same amount of power, and must move the same amount of weight, whether in 2wd or 4wd, so I don't understand how you can think 2wd would be faster than 4wd.

Old 03-17-2001, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Every thing still turns on the polaris when in 2 wd,there system unlocks the hubs at wheel.The other ones unlock at the driveshaft before the front diff...so it does save the front end from having to turn.

Old 03-17-2001, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have verified this many times in the past. If traction is not a factor, a Scrambler in 2WD is faster than in 4WD in a drag-race. Sending power to all 4 wheels will result in a less powerful launch than when the power is only going to 2. I have also seen this verified in DirtWheels a while back when they were timing a Scrambler in short runs. 2WD was usually good for about 2/10's of a second better times.

Old 03-17-2001, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

With system's other than Polaris' everything turns, whether in 2wd or 4, it's just a question of what makes it turn. In 2wd, the wheels turn the axels, which turns the front drive shaft. It all turns.

Kevin, 2/10's of a second over how many second's I wonder?
I guess this was on pavement?

Old 03-19-2001, 02:20 AM
Trailblazer

The only thing 4wd will do is help you hook up better. Its for when you absolutely NEED traction. If you run in 4wd when you don't need it you are just tearing up your drive components. Which do you think is easier on the motor, having to turn 4 wheels or 2 wheels. Next, try riding your ATV in 4wd all day. It will be a lot harder than riding in 2wd. Also, I know that Mike Penland is a legendary ATV rider and mechanic , but if he told you to jump off a cliff, would you?

98 SP500

Old 03-19-2001, 07:36 AM
Range Rover

On tight twisty technical stuff where 4wd is not really necessary for traction 4wd will make the front end plow reducing your turning radius. I agree 4wd also robs a tremendous amount of power. Besides you can really get your YA-YA's out in 2wd.

Old 03-19-2001, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

I am with Fourlix. There are conditions where 2-wd is actually faster than 4-wd. However, there are conditions where it is not. The fun-factor is definatley more when in 2-wd than 4wd.
Also, just for puttering around, or teaching a beginner, the ability to turn off the 4wd is an advantage. Makes for easier steering. Sometimes a beginner will take off in 4wd, have one front wheel find traction, and the jerk they get on the bars may pitch them off a narrow trail as they don't yet know how to react to it. Putting it in 2wd until they NEED 4wd makes for happier campers.

Also, if 4wd was THAT much faster, why don't they have it on a Banshee, DS650, Raptor, etc, which are arguably the fastest machines out there?

Old 03-19-2001, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

I beleive the reason Polaris put switchable 2 to4 wheel drive on their quads is so they could be turned easier. Most people think that it was for fun or just a nice option, but it was so they would not wear a person out trying to ride it. I have had the chance to ride alot of different Polaris quads, and all the 4x4's I've rode steer harder in 2wd than my Wolverine does. I geuss Im getting old, because full time 4x4 is nice. No questions as to should I be in 4wd or not, no forgetting to switch it in before doing something, ect. I also loved my old chevy that was full time 4wd. (wish I had it back!) If anyone ever notices, most of the fastest cars in the world are full time 4wd, just look at the cars that run at Boneville, they do this for traction and high speed stablity. It's really a matter of opinions, but truely, no one has ever been able to give a good reason, execpt to be able to steer,why a 600+ lb utilty quad should have it.

Old 03-19-2001, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

i believe that polaris has true four wheel drive not limited slip like other atvs, thats why you need the on/ off funtion, it would be a handful to steer all day long if it was full time 4x4!!!

Quick Reply: Why part-time 4wd?