Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why part-time 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been some discussion here lately about part-time 4x4's and whether or not it makes a quad quicker or better handling. Well, I just picked up a copy of this months ATV Action, and there's a couple of things in there that might shed some light on the issue.
Talking about the Scrambler 500 they say...
"On dirt roads, slip the machine into 2WD and you will have a blast steering with the back end...If you want to go a little faster, just click it into On-Demand 4WD and rail around the turns with confidence."

Elsewhere in the issue, they interview Mike Penland, who gives some tips on driving a 4x4. He says
"On machines with full-time 4WD, you can't slide the rear end like a 2WD, which changes the way you go around turns. You can use more throttle earlier without risking spinning out on four-bys."

As everyone knows, the more you are on the gas, the faster you are going to cover ground.

Again, elsewhere in the issue, when talking about the Kodiak;"The handling on the 4WD version is spectacular when in 4WD, but the 2WD has a squirrely back end."

This would seem to support the idea that with two identical quads, the one in 4WD will cover the same ground quicker. The main advantage that 2WD quads have is lighter weight, which is not an advantage shared by part-time 4WD quads running in 2WD.

The only advantage of selectable 2/4WD seems to be reduced steering effort in some cases, and the fun factor. The disadvantages include increased expense, complexity, weight and number of things that can go wrong.

I posted this over a month ago, but I still see people who seem to think that the same quad will be faster in 2wd. If you're on of those people, please explain to my why you think this. I'd really like to hear it.

Old 03-16-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

I bought some used tires off my friend for my dads quad. They came off a Magnum 500 and the rears are worn way down while the fronts look new. I guess this is due to the rear wheel spinning while in 2wd.
On the yamahas-While the 4wd is continuously engaged is there some sort of electical device (solenoid)thats running hot or charged?
I like the way all wheel drive feels and wouldn't want to always ride in 4wd if I was using something up or shortening it's lifespan.

Old 03-16-2001, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 300 Honda 4X4 that is full time 4X4. It steers like a piano and the full time system robs some power as well. It won't even turn around in the street in front of the house, I have to ride over one of the curbs.
I'm looking to upgrade in the near future to a Magnum or a Sportsman.

Old 03-16-2001, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

The steering is a big plus. The FUN FACTOR is what it's all about. Turning 4x4 off is nice when you are working and don't need it .

Old 03-17-2001, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer

Sliding is one of the most enjoyable activities on a quad. It could also be a pain in the butt if you are trying to hook up and go. Why part-time 4wd? So you can have fun when you want and be hooked up when you want. Personally, I will never buy a full time 4wd.

98 SP500

Old 03-17-2001, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Why part-time 4wd?... because like in a 4wd wheel vehicle, it's there to use when needed.

Old 03-17-2001, 08:07 AM
Range Rover

Well in my honest opinion is that I like it being switchable and here is why.
Fun Factor
Easier steering
Less stress on 4wd system (wear and tear)
I like Options
Fuel economy
And I really do think that it is or has a faster top speed in 2wd mod because the power is not being split it is all going to the back in 4wd it will take off quicker due to the added traction.
I know the system is supposed to shut off once traction is regained but I honestly think it is quicker when not engaged I know I may be wrong but..........
These are just my thoughts on the subject and I could be wrong but to me it feels that way.

Have a good one

Old 03-17-2001, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer

Why part time 4-wheel drive?
I love having 4WD when I need it, but it can be great fun to cut donuts in the snow in 2WD. It's nice to have choices!

Old 03-17-2001, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

I rode two full time 4wd a Big bear and a 300 Bayou. When riding on rough terrian but not rough enough to need 4wd at all,the front end feel like it has a mind of it,s own.You have to hold the bar tight because that live front end will all of a sudden hook up on a rut or some other object and try to jerk the bars out of your hands.In 2wd mode though the free wheeling front wheels do not try to make a move on there own and you can even ride with one hand it,s that muck easier.

Old 03-17-2001, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Because the slide is more controllable in 2 wheel drive, especially going fast. It is faster in 2-wheel drive. On fast dirt roads, 4 wheel drive will give you a tenuous, uneasy slide. 2 wheel drive slides are easy and controlled, without a front wheel grabbing or not, messing up the slide.
I was on my HO trail riding fast with my Buddy
on my old SP. I couldn't keep up with him. I was in AWD, he was in 2 wheel drive. We talked about it. I switched back to 2 wheel drive and he couldn't keep up with me.
Save your hubs for when you need them!!! 2 wheel drive is more fun, faster, better gas mileage. 4x4 is great when you need it, for the rest of the time go two wheel drive.
Silly Later,,,,,Fourlix

Quick Reply: Why part-time 4wd?