Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

battery and its water/acid content

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery and its water/acid content

I have a quad that I don't used very often. I bought it used and its needed a new battery since day one.

Yesterday I pulled the old battery off to take it to the store get a replacement. When I looked at the battery there was NO acid/water in it! This is NOT a sealed battery. Its an interstate. You can unscrew the little cell caps and see that its wet like there was fluid in there at one time.

My question is can I revive the battry some how? I have left over acid from other batteries that I filled and I have distilled water. Can I ad a little acid to each cell and fill it the rest of the way with the distilled water?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

There are chargers that can "revitalize" a dead battery up to a certain point,but if yours is bone dry the plates may have sulfated too much and shorted out? You can top off with distilled water ONLY no battery acid and drop it off and see if can be "desulfated" if you don't have this type of charger,but we never had too much luck on the ones that were brought in to us! Replacement might be a better choice since you don't know how old it is? Plus peace of mind out in the boonies is worth something with a fresh battery you can trust! Purchase a battery tender and batteries will last at least twice as long! I've got one almost 4 1/2 years old and fires right up! OPT

Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
There are chargers that can "revitalize" a dead battery up to a certain point,but if yours is bone dry the plates may have sulfated too much and shorted out? You can top off with distilled water ONLY no battery acid and drop it off and see if can be "desulfated" if you don't have this type of charger,but we never had too much luck on the ones that were brought in to us! Replacement might be a better choice since you don't know how old it is? Plus peace of mind out in the boonies is worth something with a fresh battery you can trust! Purchase a battery tender and batteries will last at least twice as long! I've got one almost 4 1/2 years old and fires right up! OPT
dry batteries are most likely junk after being that way as the acid plates will be no good. just buy a good new one and issues are solved.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with them. Battery is most likely junk. If there's a Harbor Freight near you go there for a trickle charger. They are under $10 and if you watch for coupons they usually have them for $4.99. I have one for every machine and use them religously. My 05 800sp still had the factory battery in it when I sold it around 09 and still worked great.