Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Also expanded list to include 2006 Sportsman 450,500 and 700 models. OPT

Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by orest100
The recall polaris had on the ecm what years does it apply to?
Your model doesn't have the ecm module only a regulator/rectifier. OPT

Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2003 sportsman 600. Was wondering if you ever found a fix for the issue? I have changed the oil and did complete carb clean and still spraying out? Thought I would check to see if you changed the ingnition or found a fix some other way?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Whaley
I'm having the exact same issue with my 2003 sportsman 600. Was wondering if you ever found a fix for the issue? I have changed the oil and did complete carb clean and still spraying out? Thought I would check to see if you changed the ingnition or found a fix some other way?
Welcome! A lot of people never report back that would help others! If you're having ignition problems on 600 the only fix is the updated Kokusan kit.The early 600 and 700 models kept me busy replacing them with the updated kits! I keep preaching this I know,but it's the truth. There are NO parts available for the crappy Ducati ignition system that you have now,except for used parts on Ebay that people try to pass off to unsuspecting people! OR dealers trying to get rid of any Ducati parts inventory that Polaris wont take back!!!! The kit is #2202603 on the 600 Sportsman.It's around $483 on this website but you can find them cheaper. Look at item #2. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
OPT

Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I see this is a OLD post, But I just got my 700

Hey old Polaris tech, I just got a 2002 sportsman 700 that is bogging out cold or hot, but seems to get worse when Hot, I see you preach on getting the ignition upgrade, But this 700 already has it? so what could the problem be now? when I start it up, then let it warm up a little, the give it throttle it Boggs out and stalls, takes a min to restart?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Start at the basics.If you do have the ignition update kit,and if you just got the machine,do a fresh tuneup. New plugs,air filter if needed.One thing you can check for also is a split intake manifold. Usually this happened under the carb clamp and people wouldn't see it unless they removed the clamp,but it would still suck in enough air to cause bogging.If the manifold is ok,then move on to the fuel supply and carb. Plus simple things like a pinched tank vent line can cause vapor locking and stalling. Check the vent line from the tank plus pull the fuel cap off and run long enough see if the bogging stops.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, I will check all this out this weekend? any special instructions on how to remove the carb. looks kinda tight in there. I had rebuilt snowmobile carbs so this will be no problem for me, except getting it all out like removing the 2 cables?

Old 07-10-2014, 03:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just remove the two air box bolts,pull the box out of the way,remove the carb bracket and pull the carb out. You can leave the cables on to check for a split manifold. Plus while you have the carb out just as easy to install a new carb kit to eliminate it as a problem also.No sense taking it out,replacing it and having to take it out again. Carb kits available here,ebay,etc. Polaris Sportsman 700 carb rebuild kit 03-417

Old 07-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have no Idea what I did, But I took of the front Cab? fender assy and took off the clutch cover to be able to move those vents air tubes, and I started it up and it ran great, not spit and sputtering no Black smoke, no rich running symptoms? something must have been pinched? Now there is a tube coming from the top rear of the carb going up by the gas tank, it has a fitting on the end looking kike it plugs into something?

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just remove the two air box bolts,pull the box out of the way,remove the carb bracket and pull the carb out. You can leave the cables on to check for a split manifold. Plus while you have the carb out just as easy to install a new carb kit to eliminate it as a problem also.No sense taking it out,replacing it and having to take it out again. Carb kits available here,ebay,etc. Polaris Sportsman 700 carb rebuild kit 03-417

Old 07-11-2014, 04:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Probably vapor locked caused by a pinched or blocked atmospheric carb vent or the tank vent until you took the plastic off. Both vents can do the same thing if pinched. They may idle ok but exhaust the air supply in the carb bowl or tank when you give it throttle. After it sits it will build back enough air to go again.Shows a filter on the parts breakdown,but many didn't have one plus it's not needed,just an open vent like most of the other atvs. Just make sure the tank vent is open and the carb vent has a good air supply when you put the plastic back on.Hopefully you found your problem. Item #15. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Quick Reply: Polaris sportsman 700 running bad