Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

air filter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter question

if I change to K&N do I still need a prefilter? or is it a good idea to keep it on or doesnt it matter?

Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

YES!! If mine I would go to an Uni filter. Not all people neglect K&N filters,but I seen a bunch that were caked with dirt and sand and even had dirt in the back of the carbs that passed through even with the prefilters on em. Plus have had a couple that have eaten up pistons one on 2010 Sportsman 500 HO(because he didn't maintain it) and on a 400 2-stroke. Even Unis can get clogged up,but dirt passage is no where as bad! Just my old opinion again! Same thing on 2-stroke dirt bikes,you hardly ever see one that doesn't have a foam filter! If K&N was better there would be more of em on these bikes! OPT

Old 03-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

ok thanks OPT I have heard a lot of good from K&N filters being used on cars and trucks so figured they would be good on the quad also but good thing I asked before putting the $ on one and regretting it later

Old 03-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the bad thing about not having a prefilter is it lets in more dust and dirt.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

i use a UNI filter as well. I like them.. I have just started using NOTOIL cleaner and oil... i hear that it eats UNI filters so we will see..
But i like how easy it is to use.. Non toxic, wash it right in the sink.
The easier the product is , the more you will clean your filter.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Say No To K&N

A very good friend of mine who for many years was the head engineering guy for team Penske told me those filters were absolute garbage. He even did his own testing and showed me multiple pictures of scored cly wall due to lack of filtration. So if you want one that badly yes a very good pre filter is a great idea. Last thing k&n is like vw lots of history and advertising doesn't mean it's a good product. ( I worked for vw for 18 yrs)....just my 2cnts

Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More airflow = less protection in my book........
Sure K&N are good for use on the blacktop.....But off-road...?????
I use paper filters ...best protection IMO......Caper.........

Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

If you ride in very dusty conditions then The K&N tends to cake up with dirt as mentioned, speaking from personal experience...I was on a poker run years ago with my brand new quad, then '05, and new K&N ready to ride.....Well after awhile the machine wouldn't idle due to all the caked dirt on the filter..Got home and took the air filter out and cleaned it along with the TB and all was good...I guess a pre filter would have helped...I switched back to oem..

John

Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use one OEM paper filter each year. Just keep the pri-filter clean. did anybody find a part number yet for a paper filter from Napa,Fram,Or Wix?
I never did check in the past couple of years.....but Polaris ones are not too bad around $22.95 each Canadian......Caper.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

I cant recall what I spent on my last air filter guess I will dig out the receipt when I get a chance and see. I replaced it when I got in some deep water last year (within 3 months of buying the quad) due to it being pretty wet. how long do the pre filters last? I have taken mine off several times ran it under water wiped it off and reinstalled it. so is it still good as long as it dont have any rips tears in it?

Quick Reply: air filter question