Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just bought a 98 400 scrambler 4x4 couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Front hubs are the black things past the front wheel! Look at my second reply to you on how to change the fluid! As far as grinding when you take off,check the front sprocket for any worn teeth! This was a common thing on certain machines(had a bad run of soft sprockets) Also could be transmission internal chain starting to get slack and jumping teeth. OPT

Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks opt i will check the sprockets. Where is the transmission internal chain located on th bike?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Inside the transmission You don't wanna go there if you don't have to!! OPT

Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer

So pull the hub cap off drain unscrew the top and fill. Go to the other side and drain get ready to unscrew and the screw is stripped. Wtf. So now not sure what to do. Any way to lube without screwing top. Help me out am I screwed. Thanks

Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can drain it by removing the screws on the plastic cap,BUT you have to have the screw out to fill it! You also have to be careful on the cap o-ring when you knock the cap back on(Don't pinch it or it will leak!) BEST just get a screw extractor and a little propane torch heat to remove the stripped plug and replace with a new 3/16" plug so you don't have to mess with the caps at all!! OPT

Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer

going to work on getting the screw/plug out tonight. front gearcase is located on it if so where would i find it? Can i use agl in this gearcase? Also what about oil I know its 2 cylinder oil mix but just wondering if there a designated palce for oil?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The front gear case takes 80/90 GL5,the AGL is for the transmission only! Too thin for the front! Has a small 7/16" drain under the front gear case and a 9/16" fill plug on the top. The oil tank is right at the front of the atv!! Tank holds two quarts injector oil (if it hasn't been blocked off?) You can use any TCW3 rated injector oil (cheap oil or high dollar synthetic.) If mine I would use synthetic,but stay with the same oil once you decide!! You really need a manual! OPT

Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Trailblazer

So no luck getting the screw out So i guess i will be purchasing a new hub which isnt to bad found one for 15$ I need to but a socket to remove the bolt in the hub do you know off had what size that is?

Also to tighten the front chain i need to loosen the nut in the very front correct what size socket is that one? I was able to tighten the middle chain.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just take the good hub fill plug to a hardware store,you can usually match it up, its standard threads(off hand don't remember the size). If you have a front chain then you have a 97 model or older,not a 98 model as you first posted! Anyway: when you tighten the middle chain it always loosens the front chain. Under underneath the front eccentric housing is a 5/8" bolt at an angle,plus you have to have a 9/16" socket on top to hold the nut,loosen this bolt then you can just either place a punch through the front sprocket into the eccentric housing and roll the atv backwards which will tighten the front chain OR just take a dull punch on the right side of the eccentric and tap it towards the rear which will tighten the chain. Should have 3/8"- 1/2" slack in the middle of the chain,then tighten the front eccentric bolt. OPT

Old 03-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

thanks opt when I when i bought it guy said it was a 98 sorry! Also do you know the size socket to remove the hub

Quick Reply: Just bought a 98 400 scrambler 4x4 couple questions