Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler Vs. Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Scrambler Vs. Sportsman

I currently have a 1999 Sportsman 500. its on the list and I am looking into getting a scramber. I am 16 and ride mostly railroad beds and logging roads with some mud and rock/gravel spots. I am just wondering what you guys think would be best. I dont mind getting wet. I stand up through the rough stuff anyway but dont want the big bumps to kill my back. do you think the scrambler will fit the bill. Probably 70% dirt roads 30% in woods and rocks.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

the comparison to me is about the same they are both 4 wheel drive they are both equal in power the question that I would be asking is this. What am I looking at for uses? if you intend on using it for work (cutting trees hauling firewood doing food plots gardening etc.) or is it strictly play? also think and look into the accessories for them such as carrying extra fuel chainsaw etc. the sportsman for me is everything I could ask for I keep up with 700s on the trails and in drags (until I hit top end then they just inch ahead not much difference at all) I have ripped trees out of the ground have plenty of options for the accessories. the scrambler is more of a sport look that I feel limits the accessories and some of the workability that the sportsman offers again they are in essence the same machine with different plastics on them

Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I ride with Scrambler believe it or not it is only slightly quicker, but it is much more manoeuvrable on tight twisty trails but it does not smoothen the rough trail out like the Sportsman does, its a rougher ride.

Even though the Scrambler looks sporty it is heavy for a jumber, the Sportsman shares many parts with the Sportsman there differances are, the scrambler has smaller lighter wheels,lighter straight axle rear end and a lighter tranny with no low range plus it has no frontor rear racks and lighter front bumper.

Same motor,front suspension, rad, front wheel drive system and CVT clutches.

How big are your rocks? no chain drive ATV has much ground clearance between the rear chain spocket and ground.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Range Rover

Your best bet is to have one of each.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. kind of night and day comparing a sport quad to a sportsman bedieds the same power plant. the scrambler i think would be more fun for a younger person to ride because it's more nimble. the disadvantage is the ground clearance for going through mud or over rocks. i would think the scrambler would be better for you, but just my

Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the imput. mu dad also has a sportman 600. my price point would be around 2500 so im limited on the options in a sportsman. if i get a sportsman it would have to be a 600 at least with some add ons. i like the scrambler look. the mud and rocks are not that bad. i think i could get by with the 5.5 in of ground clearence in a scrambler. I really want a scrambler, something sporty, but i dont want to get it and say I wish I had a sportsman.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

"something sporty, but i dont want to get it and say I wish I had a sportsman."

this is why I made the suggestions that I did of comparing them and their accessories

I know as a younger person the sporty look looks cool but something that I worked very hard to instill in my children is "looks dont get you from point A to B any safer, last as long or comfort " it is just that a look which if everyone was a millionaire they could afford to plop down 2,000+ on something and if they are not happy with it oh well move on to the next. best advise I can give is take each for a ride. do your homework on accessories, kinds of trails and riding you want to do. think about the work ability that that machine can offer you in the future dont buy for "right now" buy something for your future

Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

my dad does have 04 600 sportsman so i can use that whenever I want for work so take that out of the equation. i would probably have to get a rack for the scrambler however because we go on some overnight rides and need lugage space. I just want something that is more responsive than what i have now. wich is 1999 sportman 500

Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

as stated there is not much in difference in speed/power also think about just because you ride X trails now does that mean you will always ride X trails or will you get into other trail types? as stated a utility quad will have smoother rides than a sport quad someone that is younger dont care about that but if its a life investment as mine was I studied over and over for months before making the decision to get what I got I bought new and it is something that I take care of and intend it to last me a lifetime with correct maintenance and upkeep. I will get off my soapbox now it is ultimately your decision you just have to make sure that your happy with it in the long run. and to get what you will be happy with it may mean waiting a bit longer to save more money up but whats a few more months to be happy with what you got?

Originally Posted by TLC
I ride with Scrambler believe it or not it is only slightly quicker, but it is much more manoeuvrable on tight twisty trails but it does not smoothen the rough trail out like the Sportsman does, its a rougher ride.

Even though the Scrambler looks sporty it is heavy for a jumber, the Sportsman shares many parts with the Sportsman there differances are, the scrambler has smaller lighter wheels,lighter straight axle rear end and a lighter tranny with no low range plus it has no frontor rear racks and lighter front bumper.

Same motor,front suspension, rad, front wheel drive system and CVT clutches.

How big are your rocks? no chain drive ATV has much ground clearance between the rear chain spocket and ground.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

I know coming into this that I am not going to own it for more than maybe 3 years. I thank you for your opinion and i am not trying to argue with you. what I really want is a outlaw with the IRS but that is completely un-practical. i like standing up so the ride in the rough stuff would not be that big of a deal. would, in anyones opinion, a say 2003 sportsman have better throttle response than a 99?

Quick Reply: Scrambler Vs. Sportsman