Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there will be two wires coming from the tach.(there may be others but they will be the lights in it). One of the wires is a ground, a brown one if it is polaris tach. the other connects to any one of the charging coils. on the polaris tachs the lights are in rubber grommet two the them. the important wires are the other two going in separate. What kind of tach did you find?

One of the wires from a charging coil will tee and go to the rev limiter box, probably a yellow/red. I plug in there.
the wires coming from the charging coil, are the wires you see going all the way to the front rack area connecting to the regulator/rectifier. two/three wires going in and a red coming out.

as far as timing goes check the three scews of the stator plate, they are slottied. On the 400's anyway the screws always in the middle of the slot. If that makes any sense. I beleive the timing is 18 degrees tdc on that i'll check later for ya.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am going to go with a mid 80's to mid 90's polaris sled tach. I can find them pretty cheap on ebay. Thank you for the info on the wiring for. Also thanks for the input on the timing. I think this is definately the last time I offer to work totally on someones bike for free. The nice thing is i am able to build up my specialty tool collection. It's not totally for free, i just asked them to buy me a couple of the tools to do the job. Not a bad deal all and all, but what a pain. I just realized that none of the hardware that they bought the bike from is the actual hardware, so now i am shopping for all of the hardware to mount the stator out to the starting case. I found all the stuff online, but no one stocks it. FUNFUN. Any ideas about clunking while coasting or towing under load? It sounds like it is coming from the trani, but i am leaning more toward the excentric/chain area lately. I greased everything so i know they are not dry. I also looked in the manual and didn't see a tensioner for the gears in the trani? Is that true? All the sleds always had a tensioner with a bearing on the end.

Thanks for all of everyones help thus far

Justin.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

yes there is no tensioner for the chain in the tranny.
on clunk well.

I find my chains wear out the rollers before they stretch from worn pins. the rollers will break and fall out. chain often jumps a tooth under load when this happens.