Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP! 2008 sportsman 500 HO carb. over charging

Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 2008 sportsman 500 HO carb. over charging

12.5 volta at idle and 16-17volts at 3k rpm...... So far i replaced the battery and controller module part # 4011568 , both brand new.....i guess the voltage regulator is incorperated in the ecm controller module ???? Please help me out on this guys.....thanks.....

Some one stated to me it could be the black box directly under the headlight pod ????

Old 05-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you replace it with the new silver Shure Power module or were you given the same the black finned Chinese module? The answer is yes this module (ecm) or controller module as it's referred to on the parts breakdown controls the fan and charging. Even if it's the newer silver module,they can go out also. I've replaced several modules including the original several times on several of the same atvs along with several members on the forum that have had the same problem.. OPT

Old 05-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Did you replace it with the new silver Shure Power module or were you given the same the black finned Chinese module? The answer is yes this module (ecm) or controller module as it's referred to on the parts breakdown controls the fan and charging. Even if it's the newer silver module,they can go out also. I've replaced several modules including the original several times on several of the same atvs along with several members on the forum that have had the same problem.. OPT
Yes its the brand new pure polaris silver module # 4011568

I bought it on line so i can not return it..F$%K!

Could it be a ground issue maybe?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't think so,but check that all 5 ground wires are grounded on the top right ecm screw. You may have left one off?? Should be two pair of brown wires on two terminals and one single brown wire. At least there were on the 04-06 models,can't remember on the 08 because I didn't have to do one that I remember? OPT

Old 05-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Don't think so,but check that all 5 ground wires are grounded on the top right ecm screw. You may have left one off?? OPT
Nothing was attached to the ecm screws.....??? The two torques screws under the cdi module right?

Whats the module with the 3 big wires above the rh frt tire on the frame??

Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Where are your ground wires? On the coil mounting tab? The recall group I had (04-06) the ground wires were on the top ecm screw and I had to make sure I didn't overlook one.. Like I said I didn't have any problems on an 08 model,but I'm sure others have. OPT

Old 05-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Module with 3 big wires?? OPT

Old 05-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where are your ground wires? On the coil mounting tab? The recall group I had (04-06) the ground wires were on the top ecm screw and I had to make sure I didn't overlook one.. Like I said I didn't have any problems on an 08 model,but I'm sure others have. OPT
Must be different than the 04-06.....i dont see any ground wires for the ecm.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Are you talking about the controller module for the winch (if you have one?) That has the yellow,red, black and blue wires?? If so,this wouldn't have anything to do with charging. But check all connections. OPT

Old 05-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you talking about the controller module for the winch (if you have one?) That has the yellow,red, black and blue wires?? If so,this wouldn't have anything to do with charging. But check all connections. OPT
Yes yes yes, just figured that out......now back to my frustraiting problem....i dont see any ground wires at all to mount on the ecm module......just double checked.....this machine is a carb model not the efi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! 2008 sportsman 500 HO carb. over charging