Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EBS cclutch questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBS clutch questions.

2012 400HO - totally gapped it when I bought it, and forgot to get the EBS clutches for it, would of been buried with the financing. I think they do a clutch swap credit when new.

I will be riding a friends come fall that has it, so I will know for certain if I do want it. The compression braking on this thing is incredible.

Question is, when I get them, will it be a direct bolt on? Just leave what shims may be there, and just install them?

With their shop rate at $100/hour, I am sure I will get bent over if I payed for the install.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

You'll have a thick spacer and at least a couple shims on the rear clutch transmission shaft (spacer always stays!). Just try it first with all the shims on. Both clutches are just a direct bolt on and once you install the belt you can pretty well tell by eyeballing the belt where it's going to ride on the front clutch. Leave the clutch cover off and crank it up in neutral and see if the rear clutch turns. If it does just look to see which side front clutch sheath (inner or outer) the belt is touching(causing the rear clutch to turn).If it's touching the inner, more shims will be needed to bring the belt out to center on the ebs one way bearing . If the belt is touching the outer front sheath then you need to remove shims to center the belt on the one way on the front clutch. You may not have to add or remove any shims when you install the clutches. Not that difficult to do. I used the clutch adjusting rod before always ended up doing a better job just eyeballing the belt and clutches. OPT