Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Changing tires, best way to pop a bead???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing tires, best way to pop a bead???

First time changing tires myself is a LONG TIME. Any suggestions on how to pop the bead successfully? The local dealer wants $30 per tire change.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Harbor Freight

Do not pay the 30 bucks a piece! I changed 4 today in an hour and 20 minutes...use a harbor freight bead breaker to break them-works great! If you want to make it even easier buy the harbor freight manual tire changer too. You would be able to buy them both for less than what the dealer wants to do a couple tires!! I have also heard of people use about a five foot 2x6 and set it on the tire like a ramp and then drive their truck up ramp and it pushes the bead down.

Remember to use a rachet strap when trying to reseat the beads to get them out onto the wheel-makes it much less frustrating and fewer tools will be flying around your shop!!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i got one of them HF tire changers. one of the best $50 i've ever spent. like he said, a little over an hour and you're done with all four!!!!!!! and you don't have to be mad if a dealer bends your rims. i don't worry about bending my own cause it don't happen. i go nice and easy. i also use liquid dishwashing soap to "lube" the beads so the bead tool/tire iron slips right through without much friction. plus, when i air up the tire, the soap helps out on a pressure check/leak test!!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, looks like I am going to HF this morning. Luckily 2 fairly close by. Thanks again. will let you know how it goes. And will try to post pics.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 AM

Something that I did too that makes it easier (unless you are mounting the tire changer to the floor somehow) was take off their little legs/feet and mount the changer on a 2x6 or 2x8 about five feet long. Then i set it up and park my truck on the other end and the changer stays upright without having to wrestle it. As a side note, when we tried to use the bead breaker that is actually included on changer, it just bent. We actually bought the separate bead breaker that is much more heavy duty (but I don't know what it costs).

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaster94

i got one of them HF tire changers. one of the best $50 i've ever spent. like he said, a little over an hour and you're done with all four!!!!!!! and you don't have to be mad if a dealer bends your rims. i don't worry about bending my own cause it don't happen. i go nice and easy. i also use liquid dishwashing soap to "lube" the beads so the bead tool/tire iron slips right through without much friction. plus, when i air up the tire, the soap helps out on a pressure check/leak test!!!!

Reminds me of the first ones I had back in 87. Good for the price you can get em for now. And perfect for for the atv owner. Got lazy when we upgraded to this: COATS Motorcycle Tire Changer Machine, Changers | Rim Clamp Model RC-100
OPT

Old 06-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Reminds me of the first ones I had back in 87. Good for the price you can get em for now. And perfect for for the atv owner. Got lazy when we upgraded to this: COATS Motorcycle Tire Changer Machine, Changers | Rim Clamp Model RC-100
OPT
OPT, you sure know how to tempt a guy. i don't think my wife will let me upgrade

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

Went to HF today and all they had was the Mini-tire changer. It says good for lawn mower tires, ATV tires and small car tires up to 12 " rims. My rims are 12" so I bought it. Read the reviews and everyone said it was junk. Ended up stopping at local tire repair shop up the street on my way home from work and he said he would swap them for $8 a piece. Thought that was a good deal. Gonna drop them off tomorrow and take back the 'Mini' changer I bought for $50 and spend less of getting them swapped. Maybe someday I will invest in a good tire changer as my collection of tools grow. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM

8 bucks/tire is pretty reasonable. We bought the tire changer b/c we have three quads in the family and put in a combined 4-5000 miles a year, so changing tires comes more regularly than my wallet (and my wife) would like!!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the best when you can find a place that will do them cheaply like that. I have the HF changer and it doesn't really work great breaking the bead on metal rims[carbon fiber is a whole 'nother story though .] The truck/2X4 method works better most of the time. It is totally worth the cost for mounting new tires.

Quick Reply: Changing tires, best way to pop a bead???