Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help with Timing Marks on a 2007 Polaris 500 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Timing Marks on a 2007 Polaris 500 EFI

Hi, im new to this forum and have been reading threads on my problem but cant seem to figure it out and i apologize if there is a sticky or a thread similar to my question.

Picked up a used 2007 Polaris 500 EFI, my motor was pinging like you wouldn't believe like the tappets were almost falling off by the sounds of it.....

I adjusted my rockers to .006 with timing at TDC or so i thought, using the hole to view threw i noticed what i thought was a little dot on the top part of the flywheel and proceeded to adjust feeling confident that this was TDC.

After adjustment was made to the valves which were so tight it took almost 5 complete turns to get them to .006 as the manual describes and every Google search Ive done.

Finished the job and it ran nice but still made the same sound after a few seconds it will stall and Literally blow the carb right off the rubber holding it to the motor, So doing some more seeking via internet was no help.

Now my question is, did i mess up and use the wrong timing mark because i just took it apart and now i can see what appears to be lines on the top of the wheel inside the peep hole, but also the wheel has very obvious circles on the outside surface, is one of these the top dead center? and removing the side plate the little dots on the upper wheel for the chain they are on the top and i cannot see any obvious point of reference as to where they are suppose to be pointing unless im just not seeing it.

So my question is does anyone know how to make sure im getting my timing marks right, or pictures of what it looks like for TDC, meaning picture of how the top wheel should be sitting and perhaps what im suppose to be looking for thru the little peep hole just above the pull cord.

And im not your experienced mechanic by no means but it sounded simple enough when i read over 20 posts on it, but my main concern is doing it at the right location.

Also upon opening it up tonight i noticed these are also no longer at .006 i can literally stick a quarter between what i just adjusted to .006 2 days ago, whats up with that????

I hope all of this makes sense, it sure does as im writing it....lol

Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Calm down! Just have the spark plug out,cam cover off and the the right side engine cam sprocket cover off. Pull up on the recoil rope slowly and as you see the intake valves go down then start to go back up,the cam sprocket mounting pin(index pin) will be close to the top. Stop when the the sprocket pin is dead center of the head. This is TDC. Then you can set the valves at .006 intake and exhaust.It's hard to see the inverted "T" on the flywheel through the timing hole on the recoil cover without a flashlight. If you have the index pin lined straight up on the head,then you can probably see the mark. OPT

Old 07-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excellent

Thank you very much that did the job !!!...............Nice and smooth barely any ticking now.

Now if i could figure out why it has a tendency to stall when i apply some pressure to the throttle...

This Machine had very little to no Maintenance from the previous owner...slowly but surely i hope i can find all the hidden surprises...

Thanks again.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

You might need to clean the carb and see if it helps. OPT