Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 timing

Well, I am at the end of my rope. I put on the new chain and chain tentioner. Timed the cam with the 2 light colored links on the cam. Timed the sprocket with the light colored link of the sprocket. This thing is going to kill me. Now it wont even fire. Is it possible to have things lined up and be off a stroke? I just can not figure this thing out. With the sprocket lined up with the line on the case, the cam straight up, the flywheel lines up with the hole in the recoil hole, it will not run. Any thoughts?

Jeff

Old 07-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have the mark on the crank sprocket aligned with the mark on the case bottom,then have the one colored link on the bottom sprocket tooth mark,and the cam index pin that holds the upper cam sprocket is dead center of the head, which would then have the two other colored links aligned slightly to the left of the index pin on the sprocket dots,then this is correct cam timing. Plus if the spring on the cam exhaust detent lever may have slipped,this could cause starting problems.Plus check that you haven't split a key on the crank sprocket. OPT

Old 07-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am so glad that you chimmed in. All makes sense. But, on the cam with the pin and the 2 dots on the cam sprocket. Wouldn't the 2 colored links be over both dots? With the pin centered between the two colored links? If they are supposed to be just to the left of the pin then that may be my problem. Also, what spring are you talking about? The thing that is on the other side of the head? How does that little spring go back in? I thought I had it right but maybe not. I did get it started again tonight for the first time. It does the same thing that it has been doing. Starts, runs for a bit then just dies and will not start again. The 2 colored links has me a bit concerned.

Jeff

Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The two plated links are just indicators that you have the cam timing correct. If the upper sprocket index pin is straight up,the lowere sprocket on the mark and the one plated link on the bottom mark on the crank sprocket,then the two plated links should fit over the two dots. The links wont be perfectly straight up,but if you look close the rear pin of the forward plated link,it is in line with the index pin on the sprocket. The left plated link is slightly to the left of tdc. The cam detent spring has a small lip that mounts on the can pin and the other end locks under the lever.You should be able to flip the lever up and it will retract back to the cam pin. BEST if you have a shop manual that will show you this. OPT

Old 07-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,
I really appreciate all the info. I did have the timing correct afterall. It would not run still so I was out of options. I took it to a local shop and it ended up being a bad ignition coil. It runs like a absolute dream now. Never would have thought that.

Jeff