Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500

Old 07-22-1999, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that i finally got my Banshee, my dad wants to buy a quad. So far we've looked at a Warrior and a Scrambler 500. He likes the 4x4 option of the scrambler 500 and the price 4699, but he doesnt think it is sporty enough. Is the scrambler a good woods machine and does it have a decent top end to keep up with me or should we just buy a warrior. Also what good mods are there for the scrambler to help it keep up with me.

------------------

Old 07-22-1999, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

Even though the 500 Scrambler weighs 150lbs more than the Warrior it will trounce it in a straight out race. On tight trails the Warrior would be better than the Scrambler or your Banshee for that matter. Hit some serious mud and the Banshee and Warrior will be "Dead in the Muck" and the Scrambler will still be digging. Polaris has the only true 4-wheel drive with the exception of the new Bombardier Traxter. I would go with the Scrambler unless you were doing a lot of tight trails, even then if he doesn't have experience shifting he will enjoy the Scramble more. Check with AAEN (Advertises in Dirt Wheeels), HPd (same, Haven't been able to access thier web site recently), Hot Seat Performance (www.hotseatperformance.com) and my favorite RCR (www.Rittercycle.com) for performance parts. I would throw in a High compression piston, FMF Mega-max exhaust, RCR airbox Mod and filter, RCR primary and secondary spring, and rejet the carb. In a staight line your stock Banshee would have trouble pulling away from it.
Scott.

Old 07-22-1999, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Scrambler 500 and two of my buddies have warriors ( one is a 98 and one is a 99 ) both with pipe and jet kit packages and they couldn't even keep up with me when my bike was stock. Now i have an Pipe, Carb, Roller clutch kit and K&N air filter. The 99 warrior is faster than the 98 but it's no problem for me. Four of the guys i ride with have honda 300ex's and they are superior in the tight woods but with the high ground clearance, all wheel drive, variable trans and liquid cooled 500 the scrambler can just muscle it's way through the rough.

Old 07-23-1999, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

$4699 is an awefully good price for a 99 500 HO. I think he would be happier with the polaris. It beats the warrior in everything but jumping. The 500 will keep up with your banshee much better than the outdated warrior. If your dad is a big guy the scrambler is the only way to go. The warrior is a rather small quad (frame size). If he modifies the scrambler he will have no trouble keeping up with your banshee in all situations except MX tracks. Even in the sand a modified scrambler can hold its own due to the 4x4 (traction). Banshees spend alot of hp throwing sand. The scrambler hooks up in on any terrain. Plus with the scramler he gets a pretty good mud machine, and an excellent (in my opinion the best) trail machine. Banshees and Warriors were not meant to tackle the mud. Have you thought of a sport 400. Faster than the scrambler, and when modified as fast as the banshee (bar large jumps and MX). I own a 500 scram and (99) and am very pleased with it. It is the best of both worlds.

Old 07-23-1999, 04:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Go with the Scrambler 500. They are great machines to own and ride. Your dad will have so much fun riding one of these bad-bays in the woods. ANd if your on the all mighty BAnshee gets stuck in the mud (dont get pissed, i love Banshees!) , your dad can use the 4wd to pull you out! Seriously, they are great machines, he should go for it!

RoostKing...

[This message has been edited by RoostKing (edited 07-23-1999).]

Old 07-23-1999, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Besides what the others have said, which I mostly agreed with, I have one comment. If you really want him to keep up with you, why not get a Scrambler 400? In stock form the 500 is faster, but if you spent some money on the 400 it could be faster than your Banshee.

Right now I see a lot of pipes for the 500, but nobody has used any of them so not many people want to use their money to be the first to try somthing out. Same with the other mods for it. As where with the 400, there are modified 400's everywhere so it would be easier know which parts work. I don't have the money right now, but one day I would like to hop mine up. Even if I had the money, I don't know if I would anyway, because there are hardly any reports of parts tested.

Don't get me wrong about the 500 vs 400, I like the 500 better and that's what I chose to buy. But I am not trying to out-run Banshee's (yet). I have ridden with some Banshee's before, and I as long as they aren't riding full throttle I can keep up. The 500 is faster than the Warrior though.

Good luck!

Adam Dowden

Old 07-23-1999, 02:01 PM
efr
Weekend Warrior

Are you sure about the price on the 99 Scrambler 500? The best price I have found is $5500. I would by in a second if I could get one for $4600.

Good Luck

Eric

Old 07-23-1999, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes efr it is a slightly used 99' scrambler for 4699. It is at Willows in Chesire CT i can give you their number if you want they also have a web site. WWW.willowsweb.com

------------------