Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 Xplorer Overflow Dripping Gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there is slight side to side movement. Guess I should replace float arm and pin.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be enough side to side movement for the float arm to stick. Found this to happen in float arms that were really worn. Hope this solves the problem. OPT

Old 10-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, I did replace the washer. I will pickup float arm and pin. Will post how I make out.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Trailblazer

Went to local Polaris dealer for float arm and pin, but they do not carry, must order. A different mechanic looked at the carb and also advised that float arm is fine. He removed the needle and thought there were some small dirt particles on it (I hadn't noticed any). He advised to re-install and see if it still drips. Planning on doing that tonight. If it still drips I will order float arm and pin.

OPT, one thing I have failed to mention is that I have not been tightening down the rubber boots on either end of the carb(Air box end and engine side), could that cause the dripping? I have taken the carb on-and-off so much I stopped tightening to save some time testing.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Tightening the clamps shouldn't cause this, unless the carb is really vibrating ,which can shake the fuel level up past the overflow tube ,but what the mechanic said makes sense in a way. Tiny pieces of trash, also eroding of the inside of fuel hoses from ethanol can cause problems,but usually it blocks flow causing fuel starvation,etc not dripping. Either the needle has a problem,the float arm isn't adjusted enough to shut the fuel level off before it hits the over flow tube,or the brass overflow tube itself may have a small leak causing the dripping. OPT

Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

Latest update. I re-installed the carb on ATV and ran. Still drips at idle. I then tightened the boot between engine and carb, then re-installed the air box and tightened everything up. The carb still drips 1 drop everything 5 seconds. If I hold the carb steady to reduce the vibration the dripping seemed to stop. So, I'm assuming, the drip is due to engine vibration. It does not drip when giving the engine gas, only idle. I don't think there is anything I can do to stop that. Float arm is level with bowl. I'm wondering if this is a common problem with 2-strokes. 2 local dealers say to bring it in and they will take a look and try to resolve. I'm not sure what to do.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It's taking the fuel off idle,keeping the fuel level below the over flow. At idle the bowl is still filling up a tad too much. You can bend the float arm tab down a tad at the float needle which will raise the float arm up a little above parallel with the carb body. Hopefully this should take care of the problem. I've had to do the same on drippers before.Two strokes do vibrate more at times than some four strokes,but all the carbs can drip. They even had rubber dampeners on the 400 two stroke to help with vibration and to keep em from dumping loads of fuel into the intake,but didn't offer this on the 250 and 300s. Worst case scenario you could add a rubber block under the carb against the gear case.
OPT

Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Trailblazer

My 2000 xplorer was doing the same thing .I have just done a total rebuild($600.00plus in parts plus rebore etc) and didn't feel like spending anymore. Shut the fuel **** off every time-no leak. Did this for couple of weeks now i can leave the fuel on and no leakage.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Finally solved it!!!!

Bought two new floats and it is now good to go. Apparently one or both of the floats ended up with gas inside them and lost buoyancy.

I'd like to thank Old Polaris Tech for all of the advice!

kg

Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You solved it,not me.. Never found a leaking float itself at the shop in all these years,just mainly worn float arms and pins,but just goes to show you anything can happen. Glad you found the problem.

Quick Reply: 97 Xplorer Overflow Dripping Gas