Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 sportsman 500ho non efi overcharging

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 sportsman 500ho non efi overcharging

Hello all, like the title says I have a 2006 500HO non EFI that is overcharging. I have used the search feature, and talked to 2 dealers with no luck. The pcm was replaced last year under recall along with the battery. I tested the battery when the quad was off and got 12.7 volts, I called a dealer next to me and he said it was the pcm/voltage regulator. So I replaced it and it still didnt help, luckily enought they took it back. I called another polaris dealer and they said the pcm I tried was the wrong number and hooked me up with the right one today, I also bought a brand new polaris battery, because I dont feel like messing with junk. I put the fully charged battery in the quad (12.75 volts) and the new pcm in. The quad ran good with no battery warning or flashing needle for about 7 minutes, then it happened, the battery light started flashing, and so did the needle. It is overcharging again, one of the dealers told me it isnt the stator. ANY help is appreciated.
Matt

Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not unusual to have a bad ecm straight out of the box, (I've had several) you may want to make sure the battery connections are tight,then ohm out the yellow stator wires. Yellow 1 to yellow 2 and 3 should show around the same resistance. Average readings .043 ohms +or- 15% plus no yellow should zero out to ground,should show infinity(open). Your ecm should be #2203348. If the stator charge wires show to be in the acceptable range,then it's probably back to the the ecm module again. Hope this helps. OPT

Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

I will try that tomorrow, I dont think it could be the ecm, I have changed it out with 2 new ones in the last 2 days and the one in it was just changed last year for recall. Thanks again any input or previous experiences from anyone is welcome

Old 08-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

As stated, check out your stator as well. I had a bad leg on my stator that would cause over charging during sustained rpms/ cruising along.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by DODGEARCHER
I will try that tomorrow, I dont think it could be the ecm, I have changed it out with 2 new ones in the last 2 days and the one in it was just changed last year for recall. Thanks again any input or previous experiences from anyone is welcome
Did you ever figure this out ? What was it ? I have the same problem

Old 12-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Tech2452
Did you ever figure this out ? What was it ? I have the same problem
Some don't ever report back.What year,what model do you have?

Old 12-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Some don't ever report back.What year,what model do you have?
2005 500 HO carb

Old 12-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Again 90% of the time it's an ecm problem,But check the yellow wires from the stator leading to the ecm to rule out a stator problem. If you still have the Black Chinese ecm it can be replaced free of charge from the recall.http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2008/...o-Fire-Hazard/ If it's been replace with the silver ecm already,and it's the problem on charging,the cost is out of your pocket this time.https://www.google.com/search?q=2203...EzeAN6LIoYM%3A Plus don't over look obvious problem such as connections along with the battery condition itself.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Again 90% of the time it's an ecm problem,But check the yellow wires from the stator leading to the ecm to rule out a stator problem. If you still have the Black Chinese ecm it can be replaced free of charge from the recall.http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2008/...o-Fire-Hazard/ If it's been replace with the silver ecm already,and it's the problem on charging,the cost is out of your pocket this time.https://www.google.com/search?q=2203...EzeAN6LIoYM%3A Plus don't over look obvious problem such as connections along with the battery condition itself.
Thanks for the reply. I have replaced the stator with a new one. I figured it would be that. Same problem. Charging around 18.0 volts. I am going over all the grounds and connectors now. If that doesn't help I'm guessing it's the ECM ?

Old 12-23-2016, 06:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

ECM module again if you have a new stator. Just too many things this module controls like the fan circuit,charging circuit,auxiliary controls,battery protection circuit,hot light control,solid state circuit breakers,etc. Again I've had to replace multiple modules on the same atv several times.They just don't seem to last. Some would melt when over heated. Polaris went back to using a standard reg/rectifier on 2009 models. Guess they realized the ecms were too much trouble.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 sportsman 500ho non efi overcharging-img_20131123_103532.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2006 sportsman 500ho non efi overcharging