Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stuck Rear CV Axle???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Rear CV Axle???

I just bought this 05 Sportsman 500. It's had a rough life and I'm having to run through it to get it back together. I'm kinda at a stand still on the rear axle cup. The majority of the axle had already fallen apart and I pulled the rest out, but I can't get the cup to release from the housing. After prying and pulling, I cut two holes in the cup, hooked a chain up to two sides (one in each hole), wrapped a another strap around the ATV frame, hooked that to the Jeep, and then pulled the chain with my other ATV... that joker ain't releasing.

I've never actually had both axles out of these Polaris at the same time. If I can get the other axle out, is that a direct access to the back side of this axle? Any other ideas before I pull this other axle... I'm concerned that the other may not come out easily either, then I'll have them both torn apart.

I saw an extreme idea on youtube... that I may end up trying if I don't get any other ideas or can't get the other axle out. He laid his 500 totally on the side, spayed WD-40 to sit overnight, then lifted the entire ATV with a strap from the ceiling using the axle cup and tapped it out. Used the weight and gravity to release it. That's going to be a last resort though... looked like a potential to cause more problems if things went wrong.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Range Rover

Yes only in the rear can you pull the other side axle out and knock the other one out. You can't do this on the front diff you will mess it up. Keep soaking it with a good penetrating oil. Maybe something other than wd40. I have also found that a slide hammer works wonder, as it is a solid hit other than a constant pull. There is a snap ring on the outside of the splines with rust and mud under it. It takes a lot to get it to go in the groove so it can come out. When you put the new one in use a marine grease or anti seize.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on above!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

I borrowed a slide hammer from my neighbor, got some different lube and am going to try again tonight.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:19 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

When you put it back together put some "Never seize" on the spline so it will come off easier next time you rip a boot or something.

LOL I seen that method on You tube as well.

I used this wrench and rag and hammer method

Here is a good one on how to clean the CV

Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

Slide hammer worked! I'd love to say it was shear determination... but a lot of it was desporate frustration that actually released it. Either way, the tool works the same! That's probably the 10th one I've swapped, but I've never had one give me that kind of fit. There was over a table spoon of crud in the housing once the spline was removed. Going to clean the backside of the other axle while I've there, so if that one has to come out it won't be quite the effort.

Thanks for the direction guys!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm going through this right now and can't see a way of attaching a slide hammer to the inner CV cup. What kind of slide hammer are you using? Where are you attaching it to?

I've seen another thread where people made some speacilaty tools to remove it. Did you make one too?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have a heavy duty slide hammer like Snap on,etc they come with different adapters. Ours had a screw on "L" shaped one that we drilled a hole in the short end used a large washer and slipped over the axle and used the hub nut to hold it. Worked fairly well on the hard to remove drive shafts.This was a last resort tool as most times with heat and PB Blaster the drive shafts would come out. OPT

Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a groove that the cv boot clamps on. Should be enough to get a stuck cup out. Just takes a little (sometimes a lot) of patience and you should be able to pop it out. Mega ditto on coating the splines with neverseeze before putting it back in!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

hello everyone im pretty new here and im having the same problem ive tryed almost everything and this sucker is not moving at all its been 5 days now and a can of pb blast and a can of wd40 and still no luck any suggestion thanks jeff

Quick Reply: Stuck Rear CV Axle???