Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Split brakes that work!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 04:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys (and gals) leave it to John Ferrari, GNCC racer to get this working. I got so dam pissed off after the first 2 races that I had to do somthing with the brakes. I rear-ended a 400ex last race really bad (Sorry for whoever you were, but I just couldnt stop!)

I finally did it. I added the stock polaris front braided lines to my scrambler and met them in a T fitting I got from the auto parts store. I then added a Honda 400ex front master cylinder. Ahh, but you say thats impossible because the 400ex master uses a banjo bolt. I found this place called "Rolling Thunder" that had an adapter that converts the threaded fitting to a banjo bolt! AUSSOME! I found another way to do this was to just go down to your local harley dealer and get a new braided line from them, but that was like over $100! I havent rode it yet, but I can feel it allready...REAL FRONT BRAKES THAT CAN BE LOCKED UP WITH MINIMAL EFFORT.

Now on to the rear. My neighbor owns a dealership (i know im lucky) so I have ordered the entire rear braking system (master, caliper, line, etc) for the DS650. I did some measurements and you would be surprised at how close it comes to fiting right on! The distance between the 2 mounting bolds is EXACTLY the same. It may need a slight right-left alignment but thats it. The master will be a bit trickyer but nothing a little welding cant help. Ill let you guys know how this comes out...should have it done in the next week...

But the fronts are AUSSOME now.

--John

Old 03-21-2001, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

I did the same thing on my '99 over a year ago. I used the Magura cylinders and got all my other parts (all Russell stainless steel teflon caoted lines and chrome adapters) from a local Easyriders shop. Total cost was around $550, but it has been worth every penny!!

Only diff is I kept the OE rear caliper, scraped the entire foot asembly, ran one line from the master cylinder, split it near the battery and ran two lines to the caliper. Rears will lock up on a dime!!

Old 03-21-2001, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, that's a lot of money. I am curious why you guys didn't just get a split brake kit from one HPD or Hot Seat? Are they not as good?

Old 03-21-2001, 02:56 PM
Range Rover

Humm, maybe ill try that before i install the DS650 brakes. You split the line from the rear hand master and then brought it to both inlets on the rear caliper, therefor providing more volume (so the brake isnt so stiff) and pressure on the other pistin in the caliper (so you are able to have enought push to lock up the brakes).

Maybe ill try this first, they really lock up that easily?

BTW, i tried sending you email and it bounced.

--John

Old 03-21-2001, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Yes exactly! It took awhile to bleed them to the point that I liked, but after it was all done it worked great. Just remember to calculate in suspension travel when figuring the lenght's you need. I'd tell you what I ordered, but I forgot.

Lurch: I do use the HPD split kit Magura cylinders, I just rreplace every other OE part, aside from calipers with Russell lines/fittings. True it was a bit more $$ than I expected, but the results are worth it

Old 03-21-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I never could figure out how to change my e-mail addy. New one is: Y2KB4K@hotmail.com

Give me a few days to reply I'm in the middle of moving right now.

Old 03-22-2001, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

For me I tryed a splite break on my TB for racing MX I didn't like it. So im going back to the single leaver break when I had the single leaver I could run deeper in the corrners an stop alot faster then the other quads last year when tryed the splite I lost the advantage so going back to the single.

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2001, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

A400L,

I have an Xplorer 400 that I'm interested in splitting the brakes on. I want to get rid of the weak foot unit, and use the left-handed one for the rear and one on the right for the fronts. Were the Magura units you purchased all metal, plastic/metal, or what? Also, where did you get them at? What do you currently use for parking brake? Thanks.

Waylan