Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Toy hauler Suspesion ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like to keep things simple so i will get the equelizer hitch now i need to find a place to get a good price any idias?

Old 03-22-2001, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Where is the best place to get those hiches? i live in the sticks and there is nothing here but overpriced products?

Old 03-22-2001, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

I would start out anyplace that sells trailers. From experience, places that sell livestock/horse trailers generally know more about this sort of thing than places that sell snowmobile type trailers.

You could try a search engine. Look up Reese, Valley, & Putnam. I know there are more, those are just the first ones that I could think of.

Old 03-27-2001, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

There are two good equalizer hitch setups. Both provide weight distribution and anti-sway control. The Henley is about $2500, the Equal-I-zer is about $490. I got the latter.

Old 03-27-2001, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

You can buy the Equal-i-zer brand right on line. I talked to them first on the phone and they were very helpful in determining the correct amount of hitch drop needed for your truck/trailer setup to get the correct ride height.

I have been looking into towing/payload specs quite a bit lately and have come to the conclusion that you need something more than factory heavy-duty springs if you are going to do a resonable amount of towing, or are going cross-country. Make sure you use at load range E tires pumped up to maximum specs for towing. My Michelins say 50 lb., but for loading Michelin remommends 65/75 lb. The tires can be your weakest link in a heavy duty setup if they are not the correct load range. Load range C's are ok for local duty, but not for over the highway continuous use.

I have found that for towing at highway speeds with a full race 8' wide race tag-along trailer you definitely need sway control and weight distribution to stop any wobble. Towing without at speed with a tag trailer is asking for trouble eventually. It's quite different with a gooseneck or fifth-wheel setup which eliminates most of the shaking/swaying.

I've beeen doing lots of research on vehicle towing lately and am in the process of buying a new Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab with The Duramax Diesel / Allison trans. combo fairly soon. I'm still going to install the heavy duty Air-Lift bags on the rear. Just because it's 3/4 ton does not mean it needs nothing to either tow or haul heavy weights up to payload or gross weight at highway speeds. All the new 3/4 and 1 ton trucks need help in this department if you are going to be towing for any distance, spending hours on the road.

With the right setup towing cross-country can be a pleasure instead of a nightmare.

It's a little different than hauling for 25 miles or hauling a ton of gravel back home.

You may want to go to a local rv center to ask their recommendations on a good towing setup for your rig. Most are quite knowledgeable and can point out any weakness in your particular setup.

Equalizer is at www.equalizerhitch.com

Old 03-28-2001, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

Jack i looked at there site man are they Spendy Take a look at reese or ridgid hitch also hidden hitch 305.00 all parts included Way cheaper Even has sway control. I am going to get the reese hitch by ridged hitch 800 lb Tounge wieght with 10,000lb weight rating just over 300.00 cash I have heard nothing bad about these setups so I am going to give it a try. thanks For the info.

Old 03-28-2001, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

I use an equalizer on my '97 Yukon to pull our camping trailer. For 2 quads on a utility trailer I don't bother.
But the big load of the camping trailer has trashed the brakes on the Yukon, and I've just blown the tranny with only 66,000 miles on it.
1/2 ton just doesn't cut it when you are talking towing. 3/4 tons have bigger brakes and no delicate overdrive transmissions. Of course gas mileage goes from 17 to 7 when towing, and the 3/4 ton without overdrive isn't going to get much better than 12 mpg without a load. I think my Yukon pulls the utility trailer and quads okay,
700lb.+700lb.+1000lb. So anything over 3,000 lbs,
even though it is rated for 6,000 lbs, is going to trash that $30,000 SUV. Mine's in the shop right now, I'm expecting a nasty repair bill.
Silly Later,,,,Fourlix

Old 03-28-2001, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

I'm getting 22 mpg loaded with my Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Old 03-28-2001, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

AT what interest Rate 26% Hell mine is almost paid for And You?

Old 03-28-2001, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

I sure hope so, you have over 100,000 on it!

Quick Reply: Toy hauler Suspesion ?s