Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris has spark at the begging but then none

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris has spark at the begging but then none

i have a polaris xplorer 400 2000 model it is a 2 stroke just had it rebored .040 over new wiesco piston all new gaskets new spark plug new cdi new regulator i have pulled the stator out it looked brand new and gave it abit of a test seemed to be working all good and now have it all put back together fuel tank hooked up fueled key on and no start i pulled the spark plug out and held it against the block and it sparked but only once and it took a while be for it would spark again how often should it spark while your winding it over ?

also if the carby was playing up if i squirt aerostart into the carb it should have abit of a jump shouldn't it ?

i also replaced the coil but its not the right 1 or the bike would it have anything to do with the weak spark if its not like the right 1 for the bike

the bike will wind over and over but it just wont start choke no choke full throttle no throttle key is on i tried unplugging the black wire still nothing

i have also tried another coil and still no spark and i have tried unpluging the black wire off the cdi box and the other box located behind the oil tank

also just as an update to all this ^ the bike sparks at the start then yea dosent spark again

if anyone could help with this it would be majorly appreciated ive put alot of time and effort into this bike

Old 10-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome! Check resistance on the stator Red and Red/Black wires going into the cdi, should be around 226 ohms. Also the White and White/red wires should be around 97 ohms.(Both readings + or - 20%.) Don't have the 2000 manual,but this is from the 1998 Explorer which should be the same or close. Plus pull the plug cap and check the bare coil wire against the cylinder for spark. Doesn't happen often,but 5000 ohm resistor plug caps can short out also. OPT

Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tested them1 was 230 ohms the other 102 ohms the other thing I thought was if the battery voltage was 2 low so I was gunna try give it some good voltage

Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

i got good voltage though the battery but still nothing even after all the above tests ^ checked out ok

Old 10-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Your readings on the stator show to be in range. If you have a new cdi,eliminated the reverse limiter and replaced the coil,but still have just one initial spark,then you could have a ground problem. Make sure all brown wires especially at the coil mount have a good frame ground. Also on the Explorer make sure the pickup coil face and flywheel surround is clean. Not much room for movement on the pick up coil,but you can slightly tap the pickup coil and bracket assembly inward toward the flywheel just a tad and see if you have good spark then. I've done this on a few. OPT

Old 10-14-2012, 03:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

how much gap should be in between the pick up coil and the flywheel ?

im pretty sure i have the timing right there is an indent in the top screw on the stator plate and i have lined it up with the 1 on the case

as a test should i connect a wire to the negative termanl on the battery then to the bolts where the coil is mounted to ensure good grounding ?

also when i was testing stuff today i wasnt getting a spark at all like not even if id kick it over let go kick it over let go and so on i wasnt getting a spark the other day when i was trying it it would spark once when you kicked it over but as it kept winding it wouldnt spark then when you'd let go and kick it over again it would take a couple kicks befor it would spark once again but yet today it was very hard to get it to spark if at all i have adjusted the gap on the spark plug in and out and still nothing i will try what you have suggested ^ and get back to you

thanks alot for all your help it is greatly appreciated

Old 10-14-2012, 03:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

also how much of the metel bit on the pick up pulsar coil should be sticking out cause mines flush with the plastic bit itself just asking cause in a few photos of new ones i have seen the steel bit sticks out abit the steel sensor bit im talking about not the bracket peiece that goes around it
thanks

Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Gap is usually between .020 to .025 if I remember correctly. Not necessary to run a test ground wire from the battery as long as where the ground wires tie together have a good frame ground with no paint,etc that might be causing a problem. The pulser coil face will be flush,not a lot of metal sticking out. Also forgot to give the coil primary check(Even though I know you change coils):from the coil tab to ground should be 0.3 ohms resistance(shouldn't be shorted to ground.) Coil secondary(tab to inside plug cap) should be 6.3K (6300 ohms with cap) Make sure you pull the plug cap as I mentioned earlier to see if you have spark with just the bare wire against the cylinder. OPT

Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok took some readings of the coils one coil wouldnt give me any readings at all guessing its stuffed the other from the signal tab to the spark boot tested at 8.00 ohms from the coil tab to ground was 0.01 ohms i tested the signal tab to the ground and it tested at 8.00 ohms i also pulled the plug boot off and held it against the cylinder but still no spark also checked the spacing on the pulsar coil it was fine tapped it in a little but still nothing sanded all the groundings back and bolted them all back on

Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Coil test is with the coil mounted,wire pulled off from the cdi. Primary resistance: tab to ground 0.3 ohms resistance. Secondary : Plug wire (including cap) to coil tab (not ground) should be 6.3k ohms (6300 ohms). If the coil checks out that you swapped and you replaced the cdi module as you stated in your first post,and if the stator is with in resistance specs as you posted,then you could still have a ground problem or short in the wiring,plus resistance tests even by the book on the stator (although a fairly good way of testing) is not always 100% accurate.A stator can still be the problem. OPT

Quick Reply: polaris has spark at the begging but then none