Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 magnum 330 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 magnum 330 clutch

pure stock machine, will a softer primary clutch spring help to engauge the belt sooner? It has the stock blue spring right now, is it the spring or the weights or both?
thanks

Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Soft springs put less stress on the clutch allowing quicker engagement and the weights are usually for your altitude,but other "clutch gurus" will show up and give you better advice on what set up you might want. Most of my clutch work was just repairing them to keep em running mixed in with a few clutch kits now and then. OPT

Old 10-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

The primary clutch spring numbers determine stall speed and shiftout.The springs allow your clutch to open and close and allow the belt to ride at different heights.An example could be of a primary spring with the numbers 35-145.The first number is your stall speed range which will determine the RPM that you stall to/reach before your clutch engages and the quad starts to move forward (just like a stall convertor in an automatic drag car).For a softer/less stall speed you would want to go with a primary spring below the 35 rating.The only thing to be carefull of is to not go with a spring with too less of a stall speed or the clutch will engage at too low of an RPM and not have much low end power.Similar to taking off in the wrong gear on a manual quad.

The easiest way to describe the weights is that the heavier ones are more for modified engines and are more for dry and hardpacked ground where you might have a problem with over reving your motor.The lighter weights are more for sand or muddy conditions where you might have trouble reaching higher RPM's.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Soft springs put less stress on the clutch allowing quicker engagement and the weights are usually for your altitude,but other "clutch gurus" will show up and give you better advice on what set up you might want. Most of my clutch work was just repairing them to keep em running mixed in with a few clutch kits now and then. OPT
thanks for the reply and info. been a heavy equipment mech for 30 years, the quad thing is new to me.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by WaaHeHe94
The primary clutch spring numbers determine stall speed and shiftout.The springs allow your clutch to open and close and allow the belt to ride at different heights.An example could be of a primary spring with the numbers 35-145.The first number is your stall speed range which will determine the RPM that you stall to/reach before your clutch engages and the quad starts to move forward (just like a stall convertor in an automatic drag car).For a softer/less stall speed you would want to go with a primary spring below the 35 rating.The only thing to be carefull of is to not go with a spring with too less of a stall speed or the clutch will engage at too low of an RPM and not have much low end power.Similar to taking off in the wrong gear on a manual quad.

The easiest way to describe the weights is that the heavier ones are more for modified engines and are more for dry and hardpacked ground where you might have a problem with over reving your motor.The lighter weights are more for sand or muddy conditions where you might have trouble reaching higher RPM's.
great info, thanks. the quad thing is new to me, been a heavy equipment guy for 30 years. lots of stuff to learn and so far this board is very helpfull.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Range Rover

No problem, the best way that I've found to learn about clutching is to just buy a few different primary springs and experiment with them.You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many hours of testing that I have with my primary, factory secondary, Team roller secondary and Aaen roller secondary at IHRA and NHRA dragstrips as well as a chasis dyno.I make a change to the clutching, make three passes, then make another change and see how my reaction time, 60', 330', 660' and MPH changes.

On these Polaris ATV's clutching can make or break how these machines perform, especially when you start modding them.At between $20-$30 for a primary spring it really isn't that expensive to buy a couple of different springs and try them yourself.I wouldn't really worry about changing weights or going with a roller secondary or even changing the factory helix in the secondary on a stock machine unless you have port work done, raise the compression, go with a bigger carb and a different exhaust.Your best bang for the buck is going to be dialing in the primary spring IMO.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again, I'll have to play with it, after i get the charging system problem figured out.