Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 scrambler 500 slipping out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 scrambler 500 slipping out of gear

hey everybody

been following for a couple months now, first time poster here. very informative!

my issue:
i got my quad back in may/june roughly. been havin a blast with my 3 y/o daughter almost daily until the last week or so. went to give it a little nut and it popped out of gear on me. tried again....same thing. i could drive it at a low rpm just fine without any issues, but as soon as i get to that higher rev point, it seemed to always pop out. no grinding. all fluids are checked monthly and no leaking of any sorts. is this a clutch issue? please let me know what u think before i take it to some joeblow shop around here and spend $ out the wazoo

thanks

mike and "daughter"

Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Mine did that, I just adjusted the rod that goes from the shifter to the tranny. Remove the side cover and you will see the adjuster at the end of the rod with lock nut. Mine only needed one turn. I just fooled with it until it stopped jumping out of gear.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

what's the easiest way to go about this? i'm mechanically inclined, but i don't want to start pullin things that don't need to be pulled.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

On the Scrambler just place the gear shift in neutral. If the gear shift lever isn't centered in the cutout slot,loosen the lock nuts on either end of the shift *****(ones clockwise,the other counter clockwise) twist the linkage rod until the shift lever moves to center of the slot then tighten the lock nuts. Make sure the ball end nuts on the gear case belcrank and at the shift lever arm are tight along with the belcrank itself on the gear case. If this doesn't help with the jumping out of gear you could have slider gear engagement dog problem( worn lugs) or the silent chain may be jumping teeth causing it to jump out of gear or a little of both.Plus don't over look the external sprocket and chain for broken,worn teeth,chain too loose,etc. Problem could be as simple as this. OPT

Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, i tried to adjust the rod...the shifter was forward of center....but that didn't seem to help much. i was able to get to a higher rev point. i than tried to hold it into gear with my foot as this seemed to work. i could nut it from standing still and it never popped out of gear.

chain and sprockets were new within last 6 months. the chain seems to have a little slack and the sprocket (small one) from the trans seems to have a little bit of slop in it? is this normal?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Little slop in the front sprocket is normal. Just adjust to where the chain has about a 1/2" slack in the middle of the chain between both sprockets with no load. If this doesn't help with the jumping out of gear then probable internal gear case problem. Silent chain slack,slider gear dogs worn, I've even found broken circlips on primary or secondary shafts that cause these problems? OPT

Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

chain seems to be about right than as far as the amount of slack. what kind of damages am i looking at if i were to take this in and have a shop pull trans and have a look see? rough estimate?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Shops would probably charge between 4 to 6 hrs labor plus parts! just depends on the shop and also labor can run from 70 to 100 bucks an hour or more! You can save $$ if you buy a manual and if you have the tools and the time. OPT